Search results

1. M

Running cables outside without conduit?

Is anyone aware of a product like a wrap or sleeve for running data/optical cables outside without running conduit and protecting them from UV. Perhaps some smaller diameter non corrugated flexible conduit? Preferably not in a bright color lol Thinking about how I want to make some new fiber...
  2. M

Suggestions for 2.5 in SAS backplanes for DIY re-use?

Hey all, feel free to point me to any threads I've missed. I'm looking for a DIY friendly SAS backplane for 8+ 2.5 sas and sata drives. Sas2/SATA3 speeds minimum. Sas3 and port expanders are a plus. So long as the pinouts for power etc are known, and the connectors are not unobtanium I'd...
  3. M

HP 1810-8G power input questions.

Picked one of these up from ebay without the power adapter thinking "well, I have a bunch of power connectors and it's 12v, no big deal". Unfortunately it's not a standard 2.1 or 2.5 ID barrel connector like I thought it was. I've confirmed that it does work with POE input, but I'd like the...
  4. M

520 byte drives, weird behavior formatted as 512

So I'm putting together a new Truenas build, drives all from ebay. A mix of models but all HGST helium. Some care or were reformatted as 512, 2 are 520. They have all passed a full badblocks test. Some I have had for a while and were cycled out of another build, some are "new to me". Onto the...
  5. M

Low power options for firewall / pfsense / opnsense

Needs/requirements: Low power at idle (lets say 20w or less, lower is better) as the highest priority Not a vendor locked platform, so either x86 or something that could run a hypervisor. 2+ Gigabit ports (not realtek, or troublesome) and/or at least one PCIe slot Either ATX power or NON...
  6. M

HUH728080AL5201 (HGST 8TB SAS Helium) Slooooooow writes (ebay purchase)

Picked up a few of these from ebay, doing my normal `run badblocks on HDD from ebay` thing and I noticed they seemed to be crawling. I checked the speed and 2 drives were writing at ~7MB and 2 at ~25MB. Even doing a DD to the disk is slower than it should be at ~77MB, reads seem fine at over...
  7. M

Running from DC (48V up to 60V), pico-psu (DC-ATX) considerations, alternatives.

Feels like the right forum, but I could be wrong. One of my "slow burn" projects is moving all of the critical gear in my rack to DC input, using the "normal" UPS output for unmodifiable(or not yet modified) equipment mostly. This allows for much better "on battery" time during power outages...
  8. M

Suggestions for 4TB NVMe for VMs?

I'd like to keep the price below 600, and obviously avoid anything QLC. Besides that I've got choice paralysis :) Must be NVMe and 4TB "class" (so 3.6 would be acceptable) as a single drive, unless theres a screamingly better option at 2TB (I could do 2 drives, but prefer a single drive for...
  9. M

Dell R820, need longer SAS cables (do they exist?)

I could just be tired, but I've tried searching without much luck. I've got some Dell R820 at work, and I need to know if it is even *possible* to move the storage controller to one of the middle half height slots (or one of the slots on the right rather than the left). The SAS cables are...
  10. M

What (Nvidia) GPUs fit in a R820?

I know the manual says "half length" but I'm not sure what the *exact* measurements are. Also do they even have any internal PCIe power connectors? I'd rather not drive up to our datacenter to figure it out :-/ I love figuring out how to do other peoples "simple ideas" :D
  11. M

How old of CPU is too old for firewalls and VM hosts security wise?

Want to get thoughts on where the cutoff for Meltdown, Spectre are assuming up to date microcode and OS patches when deploying something as a firewall, or a VM host with guests possibly running hostile code. I'm more thinking about security than performance, I'd rather nail down what is secure...
  12. M

Budget ATS (auto transfer switch) options for "homelab" size?

Let me know if this is the wrong forum for this, but since this is a "rackmount thing" I figured it was the best fit. I've got a single rack "homelab" at home and am currently in the planning phases of "better handle power outages". I currently have a rackmount UPS with an option to add an...
  13. M

WTB SX6012 (converted or not) COMPLETED

EDIT: Sale is pending completion, leaving thread up since seller has/had a 2nd unit someone else was interested in. ---------- Looks like I hesitated far too long and these don't show up on ebay anymore. So long as it functions and is convertible one of the EMC (or other) branded ones is fine...
  14. M

LiFePo4 to replace external battery for rackmount UPS?

Wondering if anyone has done this already. LiFePo4 is Lithium Iron Phosphate; it's fairly compatible with SLA voltage range and used as "drop in" replacements for that type of battery in RV, solar, offgrid, etc. You trade off storage density and a need to be above 0C for charging for better...
  15. M

Good brands and resellers for DDR4 ECC UDIMM?

I'm trying to shop for some 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (prefer 3200MT/s if possible since this will pair with a Ryzen) which is less common and more expensive than ECC Reg. I've been burned by Kingston in the past on the consumer side, so I'd prefer to avoid them. I know Samsung has some, the...
  16. M

NVMe (m.2, u.2, pcie) with PLP for storage spaces in Server 2019

So my Freenas is my true workhorse for storage, but I'd like to get some hands-on with storage spaces in server 2019. I've done some reading and come to the conclusion that getting SSDs that work *correctly* in storage spaces is a bit tricky, and simply having PLP may not be enough. I'm not...
  17. M

SAS 3 HBA for Server 2019

Which SAS 3 HBA (or flashable RAID) cards are fairly "drop in" for server 2019, I'd prefer one under $50 (from ebay of course), but I could be talked into spending more if it's worth it. It will end up being used with sata and sas, HDD and SSD.
  18. M

Looking for a good displayport KVM

So, this may not be exactly the right location, but it is a hardware item and I will use it with my self build workstation so... :) New job, working from home and strict security requirements on the work laptop, so no SSH or remote desktop TO the laptop. Which means going back to hardware KVM...
  19. M

Debating switch purchase (1G with SFP+)

So after a few months of "sh-t, thats the power bill?", plus entering the time of year where even with a 2U rackmount UPS I'm worried about storms and runtime; I'm looking at pairing things down power wise. I've mostly got things re-consolidated for the servers that will run 24/7 but I'm not...
  20. M

Dead HP H240?

Picked up an HP H240 (this one: Document Display | HPE Support Center ) used "working" from ebay. I've now tried it on 3 motherboards, 3 different OSes and it seems dead. In windows the device shows up, drivers install OK but it has an error and does not work. Ubuntu/Debian see it fine, load...