Search results

1. P

Power delivery issues with Supermicro BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplane/CSE-846

I think that's 100% correct. If I'm remembering right I was thinking less because I have a molex splitter that looks smaller than 18 AWG that powers a fan controller + fans in the enclosure and I was trying to account for that; but at any rate 55w for the 5v line sounds right. :thumbsup"
  2. P

I don't think it's the issue either, I just brought it up because each molex connection is only rated for 40W so based on the power delivery layout (A psu with a single 4 pin molex connection or something) it _could_ be the limiting factor. For the setups above though I used the exact same...
  3. P

@i386 Yeah I was thinking an 850w PSU that can do 20+amps on the 5v rail would be plenty. :/ Thanks for that info. This was my thinking as I stared this "20a should be plenty". This backplane has 6 molex connectors.
  4. P

Hi there, I've been building out a shallow 24 bay DAS for my rack. It's based on a Supermicro BPN-SAS3-846EL1 from a CSE-846. I have seen quite a few builds of others using non standard PSUs in a CSE-846, without issues (link) so I didn't really think anything of it when I removed the...
  5. P

[Resolved] Attempted to add External SAS to server. Drives (or backplane?) not being detected in new configuration.

Yes I ordered this listing exactly: Amazon.com: CY Dual Ports Mini SAS HD SFF-8644 to Internal SAS HD SFF-8643 PCBA Female Adapter with Lowe Profile Standard Profile Bracket: Industrial & Scientific It went "Currently unavailable" as soon as I ordered it which was a little suspicious to me. It...
  6. P

[Resolved] Attempted to add External SAS to server. Drives (or backplane?) not being detected in new configuration.

Hi there, I attempted some updates to my server this weekend, and things didn't go as planned. I'm hoping someone will be able to spot a hardware incompatibility, or user error. What I started with: I have a CSE-846 with BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplane that has been working well for a year or so. LSI...
  7. P

cse-846 power cable options?

Hey @9jack9, I grabbed a 2080 super the other day and it's working as expected. 1070 ti 8pin 2080 super 8pin + 6pin I'm powering the 8pin on the 1070 and the 6 pin from the 2080 via the pci express power connection. I'm powering the 8 pin on the 2080 from the 4 pin molex to pcie power. I...
  8. P

That's correct, I have 3 x16 (physical) slots. > When you say the second 8-pin is split and powering the GPU, I assume you have a GPU that needs 2 8-pin connectors? Correct The other cards I tried didn't show up though. They are all quite old, and were sitting in storage for a while (and I...
  9. P

Hi @9jack9, I bought all the things. I am running two of these to get power from the 8 pin pcie connector Supermicro CBL-0424L GPU Regular 8-pin Converter Power Cable One 8 pin from the psu is powering both of the CPUs via this splitter...
  10. P

Thanks for your feedback! I have some cables on the way, to start with I am going to attempt to: Run an eps 8pin splitter, run both CPUs off of one 8pin cable. Ran an eps 8pin to dual 8pin pcie (Supermicro CBL-0424L) I would like to run unraid with a dedicated gpu for plex, and a dedicated...
  11. P

Supermicro Chassis or Power Supply to GPUs

@Fzdog2 did you ever install one of those ParallelMiner boards? If so what board are you using to power the rest of your server?
  12. P

I recently moved my unraid server from an atx case and a few scattered jbod enclosures to a single cse-846. What I didn't realize when I was starting the build, was even though I had redundant 900w power supplies, the power backplane/cable harness does not have any pcie power connectors. I...