Search results

1. R

Bought a supermicro 846 and I was hoping to upgrade the power distributor psu

I guess I'll stick with this PDB/PSU combo and just get the EPS to 2 6+2 pin cable. I don't really need to worry about any molex conversions as between the sas expander backplane and the additional sata power for powering my ssd's there are none left. I would definitely want to avoid powering my...
  2. R

After seeing the horror stories of molex to sata cables catching on fire I've become quite skeptical of converter cables also splitting one high power cable into 2 high power cables on the same rail makes me uneasy as well. Is that cable really safe?
  3. R

It came with a PDB-PT846-8824 power distributor but it doesn't have the connectivity I require. I need at least 2 pci-e 8 pin connectors. All I've got left from this psu is 4 floppy connectors and a cpu connector. I would really prefer to avoid doing dangerous splitter and conversion things. Is...
  4. R

Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

also just because you don't have a use case for it today doesn't mean you won't have a use case for it in the future. when i built my last nas/server it was a bit after the introduction of pci-e 3.0. I very easily could have made a build around a pci-e 2.0 motherboard and now 6+ years later I...
  5. R

I've heard conflicting information about the BPN-SAS2-846EL1

I'm just happy that I'll be able to get 8 links. I just bought an 846 with this backplane $199(seemed too good to be true) and was concerned I made a mistake. I doubt that even 24 5400 rpm drives will be able to saturate 8 links. looks like my h310 will work perfectly with this thing. thanks...
  6. R

which 2 ports did you connect to? or does it matter which?
  7. R

Some places I've read say that this backplane will only support a single 8087 connection and expand from there, other places seem to say that it will actually support 2 8087 connections, but only if it's coming from the same hba, and others yet again seem to claim that it will support 2 8087...
  8. R

has there been any official confirmation that they are planning on releasing new boards at some point or is it all speculation?
  9. R

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

can someone post the iommu groups for the X470D4U2-2T?
  10. R

Do the gigabyte boards have ipmi? How is it? My last build was a supermicro and it's been nothing but wonderful but these new amd supermicro boards seem pretty lackluster. I would prefer to have a full atx board with good ipmi, built with 7002 in mind and multiple nvme pcie 4 slots. i also don't...