Search results

1. Bjorn Smith

UK GBLABS Fast NAS F-8 Nitro Server

Hi, My initial thought are that this is too expensive, but perhaps if you expand on the specs a bit it becomes more reasonable. i.e. What model of Xeon What type of RAM and number of modules. What type of NIC's/Speed/number of ports But my guess is that you will never get this sold at that...
  2. Bjorn Smith

UK WTB ECC RAM ASRock Rack X570D4U

You should probably specify exactly what type of RAM - otherwise people have to do your work for you and look up the motherboard and find out what ECC type.
  3. Bjorn Smith

ARISTA DCS-7050SX-64 R going for US$125.00 | EBay

From a range to no noise to yo mamma, how loud is this?
  4. Bjorn Smith

Cheap Asrock WC621D8A Skylake/Cascade Lake Xeon Workstation Boards

I am aware now, but I don't understand why they even mention the 2T model - its just confusing and misleading if people search for that specifc model.
  5. Bjorn Smith

Cheap Asrock WC621D8A Skylake/Cascade Lake Xeon Workstation Boards

Also - WC621D8A-2T explicityly states it comes with 2x10gbe - so if you receive a board without the 2 10gbe ports, you are not getting what they are telling you: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=WC621D8A-2T#Specifications EDIT: I misread the title of the ebay posting...
  6. Bjorn Smith

Recommendation for MESH WIFI Access point only

So you are saying that if I buy two identical AP's - set them up with exact same settings - it would give the same experience as a "mesh" - that is worth considering. Since I am going to use them wired anyway.
  7. Bjorn Smith

Why not? I just want wireless access to my existing wired network that already have a router to the internet. Also it seems like the Deco M4 does have wired-backhaul - so it ticks "all" my boxes except for the app requirement to set them up.
  8. Bjorn Smith

Thinking about buying two of these: https://www.tp-link.com/dk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/ Reviews seems good, and they can be set up into AP mode only Although they require an APP to set up - surely it cannot be as bad as the one that D-link made. Anyone have any experience with this model?
  9. Bjorn Smith

I would actually prefer this, since my house is old and made of chicken wire mesh inside the walls :) - and given my history with wifi, I just don't trust it to ever work properly :) so a wired backhaul is a must. The only real reason for me wanting a mesh is to satify my "consumers" that...
  10. Bjorn Smith

Hi, My wifi sucks to put it mildly - and I want a mesh system going. I did the mistake of buying a D-Link Eagle Pro AI AX1500 pair - but apparently thats a router - and it does not seem to be possible to set up into access point only mode. I just spent 2 hours trying to get it working, imagine...
  11. Bjorn Smith

Supermicro Industrial Atom E50-40 SYS-E50-9AP-N5 Goldmont Server 29130EC Brand New $75 $8.00 shipping

Most likely, it does not take a lot of CPU to route traffic :)
  12. Bjorn Smith

[EU-GER] Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 AMD EPYC 3151 - 69€

tempted to pick one up for a firewall, probably faster than my C3338
  13. Bjorn Smith

ZFS planning question

I would drop the QLC drives entirely - if you are 100% sure they are in fact QLC ( think they are TLC) Use mirrors for VM hosting, it gives you maximum IOPS which is what you want with virtual machines or basically anything that is not backup Although creating namespaces will split the drive in...
  14. Bjorn Smith

SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPO-F-B ATX

Single pcie slot that seems silly
  15. Bjorn Smith

EU FS Intel Xeon W Storage Server | Good Deal!

I don't think the seller is really interested in selling :)
  16. Bjorn Smith

Thoughts on a low power NAS and VM server

You could consider looking into one of these: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/fujitsu-tx1320-m3-cheap-low-power-server-barebone.37804/ I have 5 running, with each 4 SATA SSD's, 64GB ECC RAM, 1x ConnectX-3 Pro a Mellanox SX6012 and all 5 nodes+switch consumes around 120-130w...
  17. Bjorn Smith

Help getting 56Gb on ConnectX-3 Pros

Have you considered testing in linux - just to see if the cards can in fact negotiate 56Gb/s? If that works - somehow it should also be possible on windows - but its most likely easier to test if its even possible on Linux.
  18. Bjorn Smith

EU FS Intel Xeon W Storage Server | Good Deal!

I think more people would be interested if you added * Pictures * Exact Chassis model name * Motherboard brand/model * Number of RAM modules/Type, i.e. RDIMM/LRDIMM/ECC UDIMM And to be honest the drives you include are most likely not worth much for most people since they are all different...
  19. Bjorn Smith

Fujitsu TX1320 M3 - Cheap low power server (barebone)

I agree its shame, but to be honest - its a "tiny" server and I don't think its really built for high-powered devices like the 10k drives. But have you tried to do a fan test to see if calibration can fix your slow spinning fans? Another suggestion is to just accept the drives run hot -...
  20. Bjorn Smith

Fujitsu TX1320 M3 - Cheap low power server (barebone)

I think most 10K 2.5 inch drives are supposed be running with high airflow since they run very hot. So I would do as @Albert67 suggest - put in a more powerful fan, which=more noise - or better, exchange for SATA SSD's - you can get 1TB drives for around 30-50 EUR if you search a little. That...