Search results

1. J

Supermicro sas2 expander chassi firmware update

Update: I finally got the Supermicro ExpanderXtools_lite up and running (I used Centos 6.3 and you have to run smc and xflash as sudo). Contacted Supermicro support who kindly send me the latest firmwares with the correct mfg binaries for the different backplanes (Latest rev firmwares are...
  2. J

OK got most of it, thanks for explaining! (I am a more or less a newbie with this stuff, but interested to learn, so be nice :) ) So, a follow up question, if I may; is it so that the expander requires no driver? (the expander is just "relaying" data according to the old SAS2 standard protocol...
  3. J

Ok no possibility for mismatch! That is interesting, care to elaborate? (I guess it has to do with the expanders being much "simpler" than HBAs, and more easy/"robust" to implement?) Latest sas2 expander firmware was 2013, good to know - thanks!
  4. J

Ok, thanks for replying, good to know!
  5. J

Fair question, should have written some text about that. I see some strange things that perhaps could relate to SAS LSI expander firmware being mismatched with the SAS LSI HBA firmware. For example, disk ordering (presentation) in freenas seems "buggy"; the boot pool disk is shown as "unused"...
  6. J

I recently bought some used enterprise equipment (supermicro storage servers) and cannot update the sas2 expander firmware. Updating to latest firmware for all other stuff went well without problems (Motherboards, HBAs). For example, one of the servers is a SMC storage server 6027R-E1R12L, with...