Search results

1. A

Can't get Startech PEX10000sfp 10gbe working on OMV v5 (Debian) ???

Ah, looking on the cd rom that came with it I see a linux driver, in source code forum, dating from 2014. Compiling drivers for linux is not something I've ever attempted before... [yes I come from a mostly windows back ground where 99% of the time it works after clicking install ;-) ]...
  2. A

Can't get Startech PEX10000sfp 10gbe working on OMV v5 (Debian) ???

Hi, has anyone got a Startech PEX10000sfp 10gbe card working with OMV v5 ? [Debian based distro currently on the Linux amd64 v5.4.0 kernel - I think...] I plugged a new card in last week and OMV just completely ignored it's existence Was hoping it would be plug and play, any advise would be...
  3. A

Just installed an A2SDi-8C-HLN4F, IT flash required?

OK - that makes so much more sense - lol :-) til: SAS connector does not always means it has a SAS controller.
  4. A

Just installed an A2SDi-8C-HLN4F, IT flash required?

Hi, I'm just setting up a simple home file server/nas and bought the supermicro A2SDi-8C-HLN4F mb. This might be a stupid question but do I need to flash the SAS controller on it to IT mode? If so, is there a guide someone can point me to. I won't be using hardware based raid as I plan to use...
  5. A

Re-using old SSD as NAS boot/OS drive?

If only they were that price here in the UK :-( If anyone can point me to a reliable source to buy a couple of these in the UK, I'd be most grateful. Otherwise I guess my options are something like this: Intel SSD D3-S4510 240GB Brand New | eBay
  6. A

Thanks for the advice everyone, I knew the later vertex 3s & 4s had a lot of lissues but thought these earlier drives were ok. They've had a pretty easy life and haven't been used since about 2012 so wondered if they'd still be ok for this. I'll keep my eyes open for other options. Antony
  7. A

Hi, Quick question I hope. I'm building a home NAS and have a couple of old OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSDs kicking around and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea or not to use one as the boot/OS drive. I'm likely to be running OMV on it and would use the 2nd to create an offline mirrored back-up of the...
  8. A

The next step, advice on home file server specs

After more contemplating (read: getting over the budget related shock...) I think I can leave 10gbe to a future upgrade. With that in mind, I'm seriously looking at the: A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. That CPU should be fast enough for my needs for a long...
  9. A

I think this mb could be an option: X10SDV-2C-7TP4F | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. Anyone with experience of it?
  10. A

Well the A2SDi-H-TP4F does meet exactly what I what - but wow £1K ouch (before adding ram) and there I was thinking I was being generous with my budget...
  11. A

I think this board gets the closest to what I want: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/supermicro-mbd-x11ssh-ctf-o-intel-c236-s1151-ddr4-2400mhz-sata-iii-6gb-s-5x-usb-30-dual-10gbase-t-la
  12. A

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. Quick answer first: yes the a CS380 would fit, I'm guessing with the vent holes on the left hand side I wouldn't be able to push it snug up to the wall? I think it's also a case I read about that has some air flow issues, maybe I'm just getting them mixed...
  13. A

Hi - Yes I'm yet another noob here and hoping I can get some advice. I've tried to do some research but now I just feel overwhelmed with too many options. Current system at bottom of this post. I'm think I've found the case I that suites sliding under my desk (it's the only location I have for...