Search results

1. K

Formatting disks for ZFS on Linux

I ended up asking for help on the STH IRC channel and the basic commands are as follows - sudo zpool add zfspool mirror /dev/disk/by-id/id_of_drive_1 zpool add zfspool mirror /dev/disk/by-id/id_of_drive_2 So for my two disks, it looked a little something like this - sudo zpool replace...
  2. K

*Edit - found my answer. Thank you vanfawx on IRC for helping out. First, I need to find the process that's using the zpool - fuser -m /zfspool/zfsdata The data returned was /zfspool/zfsdata: 26661c I then needed to kill the process - kill -9 26661 Then I could destroy the zpool...
  3. K

That worked! Thanks so much for your help. Now I just need to configure the SMART/Zpool scrub alert settings .
  4. K

This past weekend I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and ZFS on Linux. Admittedly, I am a complete Linux noob and my knowledge pertains to Googling and copy and pasting commands into the terminal. Everybody has to start somewhere! I've got some old disks I'd like to create a storage pool with just so I...
  5. K

Getting SMART data from ZFS disks in Proxmox

Exposing the drives to the guest. What you said makes sense though with respect to Proxmox needing to talk to the HBA card in order to get SMART data. It seems that getting SMART via HBA from Windows, while issuing the SMART commands within the virtualized (Proxmox) environment, isn't possible...
  6. K

Getting SMART data from ZFS disks in Proxmox

Hi there - I'm using an LSI SAS9211-8I to pass through two disks via Windows Server 2016 to Proxmox (old identical 500GB drives - I'm new to Proxmox and I'm testing things out before I start importing production data) and I'm having a difficult time getting SMART data from the drives. I used...
  7. K

Detaching ZFS pools in RAIDZ1 - functional external storage?

Correct. The disks are basically in cold storage - one a year I'd like to pull them out and test data integrity. Not a huge archive, 2x4TB disks for now. I'll add an additional set of 2x4TB disks every 3 or 4 years.
  8. K

Ah, yes you are correct - it's not RADIZ1. I'm just mirroring two drives of the same size, so mirrored vdevs. Thanks for the commands!
  9. K

Hello - I have a question pertaining to a particular use case of ZFS, with FreeNAS. I'd like to store 3TB of data on 2x4TB drives that would be RAIDZ1. I want to disconnect these drives upon copying over the data, and store them on a shelf. I'd then like to test the integrity the drives one...
  10. K

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

What's the anticipated street date for the A1120/A1150/A1170? June? Xeon D w/14 SATA ports would be perfect.
  11. K

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

can anyone recommend a place to buy the 1540 that has it in stock?
  12. K

Server error

Seems that replying in Chrome might have been an issue (I've yet to try again with Chrome, but when I do, I will clear the cache) - I don't want to continually spam the thread, but IE seems to just work.
  13. K

Choosing hardware/software for home lab use case

the virtualization part is a bit scary - from what I've read, ESXi can't take snapshots? Is this true with Hyper-V as well? The purpose of the VMs is to serve as a domain controller/SQL server/development prototyping. I'll be making quite a few mistakes along the way, so I'll be leaning on...
  14. K

Server error

Anyone else getting a server error message when attempting to reply to a thread? I've logged out, logged back in, closed Chrome, re-opened Chrome...Nothing. Tried replying a day later, still getting an error. My 'draft' keeps appearing in the reply box, seems like it's saved there. This is...
  15. K

Choosing hardware/software for home lab use case

Hi there, Long time reader and ZFS follower. I've been reading threads on ZFS for nearly two years now, just trying to get a feel for the different types of software/setups that are possible. I'm looking for a bit of guidance on what an appropriate software selection choice and hardware before...