Search results

1. P

HP G8 1356 "Smart Socket"?

Hi, I bought a DL360e G8 barebones server which is arriving soon. I also bought 2 E5-2450 CPUs from a different source. While reading the hardware manual I discovered that HP have come up with the "Smart Socket" which involves a blue plastic bracket that is glued to the processor and slides...
  2. P

Sun/LSI 1068 does not see HP backplane

Hi I have a ProLiant DL380 G6 with 2 SFF drive cages. The second cage was connected to a P410 card which worked fine but I wanted a HBA only card so I got a cheap Sun F20 card - which I understand is LSI 1068 based - and swapped. The card is passed through in ESXi to a Windows 2012 VM and...
  3. P

Low profile bracket for Mellanox MNPA19?

I bought 2 of these 1-port 10GbE cards off eBay. The seller listed them as with low profile brackets but they are full height. I have not been able to locate any low profile brackets. Do they even exist?
  4. P

Sophos XG RAM limit

Like many others I am considering moving to XG from UTM9 because I am approaching the 50 IP limit. Unfortunately the machine I am using has 8 gigs of RAM and XG is said to have a limit of 6. Will it refuse to install or run or will it just use 6?
  5. P

Virtualize without data loss?

I am currently running a Flex RAID array and a number of other applications on a physical windows server 2012 r2 Essentials machine. All the drives in the Flexraid array are connected to an IBM M1015 HBA running in IT mode. I want to virtualize this server in ESXi 5. Preferably without having...
  6. P

DL380 G6: P410 or AOC-S2308L-L8E?

Hi all, I have a ProLiant DL380 g6 running ESXi which is currently populated with 8 HP SAS drives. This is working great and the server is pretty much dead silent. I need to add a few more drives so I have purchased an add on cage for an additional 8 drives. My plan was to add an HBA for JBOD...
  7. P

FW Updates for HP P400

I just acquired an HP Proliant DL385 g2 that I am using as an ESXi lab machine. It has a P400 storage controller that still has the old 5.20 firmware. Now that HP is no longer providing firmware updates to out of warranty systems, is there any LEGAL way to get the P400 firmware, such as a...
  8. P

Quiet, cheap 1U server for ESXi?

I am looking at setting up a cheap ESXi server to tinker with. There are lots of potentials on eBay under and around my budget of about 120 euros. Some examples are Dell R300s, HP G5s, Intel S775 bare bones. I have 3 "must" criteria: - ESXi VT-d support - No louder than my SM SC826 PSUs - IPMI...
  9. P

From non-raid to raid 1 - Intel/2012R2

I have a Samsung Pro 840 SSD running as a system drive on a SM X9SRL-F motherboard. I would like to add a second SSD and change into a raid-1 array for the OS. I tried setting the SATA ports to RAID and created an array using the Intel utility. I then restored a system image to the array, which...
  10. P

Problem with HP Procurve rack

Greetings I bought an old HP Procurve network rack for almost nothing from a local OOB sale. The problem is the posts have round holes and a weird non standard profile and almost nothing fits. Rails, shelves, all have problems. Only stuff that screws in from the front can be fixed to the rack...