Search results

1. P

HP G8 1356 "Smart Socket"?

Thanks for saving me from spending $50 on two blue plastic pieces of shit :D
  2. P

Well the socket itself is obviously the same, only the retention mechanism is different, so placing the CPU would not be a problem. But I agree with you, I don't see how there would be enough pressure on the processor without the blue thingy. Okay it may lessen the bent pin problem but what an...
  3. P

Are you 100% sure? I compared pictures of the DL360e G8 mobo to other vendors' 1356and the sockets look different: HP 1356 Dell 1356 Gigabyte 1356
  4. P

As I understand it the sled/bracket comes with the HP processor kit, not the chassis, so I doubt they will be present. If they really are a must I'm SOL unless I can source them from somewhere. I found some on eBay at $15 a piece (ouch!) making a total of $50 with shipping to me in Sweden for...
  5. P

Hi, I bought a DL360e G8 barebones server which is arriving soon. I also bought 2 E5-2450 CPUs from a different source. While reading the hardware manual I discovered that HP have come up with the "Smart Socket" which involves a blue plastic bracket that is glued to the processor and slides...
  6. P

Sun/LSI 1068 does not see HP backplane

Hi I have a ProLiant DL380 G6 with 2 SFF drive cages. The second cage was connected to a P410 card which worked fine but I wanted a HBA only card so I got a cheap Sun F20 card - which I understand is LSI 1068 based - and swapped. The card is passed through in ESXi to a Windows 2012 VM and...
  7. P

HP DL380 G7 Fan Noise

My DL380 G6 is silent as a laptop as long as expansion slots are empty and only HP disk drives are installed. Any expansion card installed regardless of brand causes the fans to ramp up. Ditto with any non-HP disk.
  8. P

HP DL380 G7 Fan Noise

I hope you don't mind a small hijack. I have a DL380 G6 which originally did not have any expansion cards and was extremely quiet. Then I installed an additional P410 disk controller and a Mellanox 10GbE NIC. All the fans are now running at a constant 60-70%. I am assuming the problem is caused...
  9. P

Low profile bracket for Mellanox MNPA19?

I bought 2 of these 1-port 10GbE cards off eBay. The seller listed them as with low profile brackets but they are full height. I have not been able to locate any low profile brackets. Do they even exist?
  10. P

Sophos XG RAM limit

Like many others I am considering moving to XG from UTM9 because I am approaching the 50 IP limit. Unfortunately the machine I am using has 8 gigs of RAM and XG is said to have a limit of 6. Will it refuse to install or run or will it just use 6?
  11. P

DL380 G6: P410 or AOC-S2308L-L8E?

Thanks, that makes sense. Having 2 RAID cards may be asking for trouble. 6 cables rather than 4, though.
  12. P

Update: I also found an HP SAS expander which I picked up for next to nothing. What would be the preferred way to go - second P410 or SAS expander?
  13. P

2x M.2 in 1x PCIE SLOT ?

I have one of these Lycom PE-126 AHCI 6Gbps RAID 2x mSATA Low Profile PCIe 2.0 Host Adapter - Scan.co.uk It has been running the operating system volume in my storage server for two years now without a hitch. I know it is mSATA not m.2 but the manufacturer has m.2 models IIRC.
  14. P

Anyone used a freight forwarder from London, UK > Rest of Europe?

I have previously used a service called "parcel to go" to set up freight of large items from the UK to Sweden. They are sort of a broker; you go to their website and specify what you want to send and where and they will search for pricing and give you a quote. You decide which carrier you want...
  15. P

Virtualize without data loss?

Good catch[emoji6] I should have mentioned that the USB (actually an XDHC card in an adapter) will only be used to boot ESXi. The virtual machines will be stored on two 128 GB M.2 SSDs on a PCIe adapter (Marvell chipset). The other thing I forgot to mention is that I also have a small 64GB...
  16. P

Virtualize without data loss?

I am currently running a Flex RAID array and a number of other applications on a physical windows server 2012 r2 Essentials machine. All the drives in the Flexraid array are connected to an IBM M1015 HBA running in IT mode. I want to virtualize this server in ESXi 5. Preferably without having...
  17. P

I am aware of that, won't be a problem. Meanwhile I sold the supermicro card at a small profit and bought a 512MB w/ BBWC P410 for $25
  18. P

I guess so. What I was hoping to be able to do with the supermicro card, however, was to use standard seagate sata drives rather than sas in the second drive cage. But what about the alleged fan speed issue with cards not from HP?
  19. P

Hi all, I have a ProLiant DL380 g6 running ESXi which is currently populated with 8 HP SAS drives. This is working great and the server is pretty much dead silent. I need to add a few more drives so I have purchased an add on cage for an additional 8 drives. My plan was to add an HBA for JBOD...
  20. P

FW Updates for HP P400

I read about that too, but I thought it was only related to Broadcom NICs. So only customers with active support contracts had their machines bricked, eh? ;)