Search results

1. F

Can I use an onboard controller with a MD1200 DAS and Supermicro mobo?

Hi, I was thinking about using a Dell MD1200 or MD1220 with my freenas, which is on a SuperMicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F mobo. Can I connect these DAS to my mobo or do I absolutely need an HBA? My plan is to use SATA-only disks. Best, Francis
  2. F

2U chassis for Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F

Hi, I'm looking for a 2U chassis with 8 hot-swap HDD slots for my Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F mb. I had my eyes on the Supermicro SC825 TQC-600LPB chassis, but I heard reports that someone had the SC826 version and needed an HBA controller, since the onboard controller didn't work with the...
  3. F

Gooxi chassis with Supermicro board - anyone?

Haha, not really. I'm just trying to understand a bit the trouble I'm getting myself into... ;) I kinda know what I want, but this one was one of the few I saw that match my requirements: - mini SAS HD backplane - 8 hot swap disks - Maybe enough space for a small ATX PSU - rails included I...
  4. F

Gooxi chassis with Supermicro board - anyone?

Hi, I have a Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F and I am thinking about buying the Gooxi RMC2108 Server chassis. It's manual is this one: http://www.gooxi.us/upload/201806/14/201806141545385570.pdf Has anyone got a similar chassis? What's your impression considering noise, quality, etc? Another...
  5. F

How are the motherboard and disks cooled down on a server chassis?

That's the idea. Although I might replace the fans with Noctua Fans so that the drives can be kept as cool as possible without generating too much noise. The server will be on a basement, but it's a shared basement, so I don't want to annoy anyone with too much noise.
  6. F

Great! Thanks a lot @PigLover ! I am also considering keep using the CPU fan to ensure it will cool enough.
  7. F

Cheap rack mount jbod?

Hi there, I am considering moving my server, currently a Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F motherboard on a Fractal Design case, to a rack mount. I've wanted to move this motherboard to a 1U enclosure from Supermicro and attach a JBOD mini SAS DAS to it. However, I didn't find anything cheaper in the...
  8. F

Thanks @BlueFox! I wasn't sure as the fans were in between the components...
  9. F

Hi, I am considering moving my Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F from a Fractal Design case to a server chassis like this one...
  10. F

supermicro e300-9d-8cn8tp Cooling options (homelab)

Thanks a lot Rolando. I am considering buying 2U server chassis to use it. Maybe I will keep the Noctua fan on the CPU, or maybe I'll just screw the original fan back on the system. Nice reading your adventure! :)
  11. F

Which SATA ports are connected to which SAS controller on Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F?

Thanks @kapone. That's what I did when I first installed my hard disks, but now I can't afford downtime, that's why I asked in hope of someone who has the same motherboard could shed some light into this.
  12. F

Which SATA ports are connected to which SAS controller on Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F?

Really, not helping. I have the manual, I haven't found any information there or on the website about this.
  13. F

Hi, I have a Supermicro 11SDV-4C-TP8F motherboard and I run ESXi on it, having FreeNAS as a VM. I am considering buying a server rack mount for this board with 12 hot-swappable disks - 2U 2412 - Inter-Tech GmbH, and I am a bit unsure of one thing: The motherboard has 2 MiniSAS HD connectors...
  14. F

supermicro e300-9d-8cn8tp Cooling options (homelab)

Hello! I don't know how and if you solved your problem, but I installed a similar motherboard directly on a Fractal Design case: Building a Supermicro-based PC for ESXi and FreeNAS I don't know if that's small enough for you, though. I am thinking of going the opposite way, that is, moving to...
  15. F

Cooling the CPU, X11SDV-4C-TLN2F

I was thinking actually about buying the E300 case as I want to move my setup to a rack. When I bought my X11-SDV-4C-TP8F, I got Supermicro to replace the heat sync with their fan. Is it ok then to move it to an E300 by just removing the fan, or would I need the original heat sync? I don't know...
  16. F

thanks @AndroGen. I guess I will keep the Fractal Design case and drop the idea to move it to the Supermicro chassis then. I was hoping I could just keep the Noctua fan I got on top of the heat sink, but since it won’t fit, better give up the idea...
  17. F

Thanks @kingcody. I guess I'll have to remove it then, and probably get some noctuas for the chassi, as I don't want that thing to scream... :D