Search results

1. Z

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

That X10QBi MB is a beast with 4 CPUs and crazy memory capacity. It would sure make the meter spin 165 watts each? , but how fun. I see that package is still available, but my lab area already looks like a hoarder's junk pile and my electric bill is just nasty. Which X11 board did you choose?
  2. Z

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

I upgraded from dual X5650s (1366) to dual E5-2695 (2011) I did see a 100 watt power difference with all cores at 100% doing video rendering. 385watts to 285watts. Performance is better. Passmark CPU 8500 - 16000. I wanted to save the DDR3 memory I had. it is an inexpensive way to go. Best you...
  3. Z

Multiple drive purchased with the same zero serial number wont work in Truenas

The drives were Hitachi 4TB spinners attached to HBA. Drives were returned.
  4. Z

It seemed to randomly get confused as to what drive was which even in pools that did not contain the weird drives. I wisely had unplugged the drives in pools that contain data I care about so they were not affected. If I had not unplugged them, tears would have been involved. Your comment about...
  5. Z

Thanks for the insight. I did want to trash the supplier because I have good buying experience in the past. Part of the reason I posted was that Truenas was very confused with the duplicate serial numbers as was Crystal Disk. Windows did not have a problem. I thought this was interesting and...
  6. Z

I purchased many drives from that supplier in the past. I did not post the name as I was not trying to trash them in these posts just understand how Truenas responded to identical/blank serial numbers. The drives worked OK if my desktop.
  7. Z

The supplier took back the white label bad drives. I purchased 4 "new" date code 2013 Hitachi 4TB drives from a different eBay supplier. I checked them out with crystal drive info. No funky serial number or status. They installed perfectly in Truenas. I asked the original supplier for an...
  8. Z

SFF-8484 36-Pin to Mini SAS SFF-8087 32-Pin Cable trouble in old Aeon Chassis

This describes the sideband definitions, but it was not clear to me what can be done. https://members.snia.org/document/dl/25904 There are 7 pins on each of the 4 SATA connectors. So that is 28 pins. but some of the grounds are shared. That leaves 8 pins not assigned. Perhaps Aeon just jumbled...
  9. Z

Thermal controller

I cut a slot in the thermal sensor metal mount and I placed it on top of the CPU cooler flange hooked around one of the CPU cooler screws. The screw holds it tight to the aluminum and gets a good measurement. To get the Tach back to the motherboard I modified the "Fan Hub" so that the RPM feed...
  10. Z

SFF-8484 36-Pin to Mini SAS SFF-8087 32-Pin Cable trouble in old Aeon Chassis

Before AEON was a form of bitcoin it was a system integrator that stuck supermicro motherboards in a chassis Aeon made. Documentation is non existent. My first entry with a server was to buy an Aeon chassis with 8x3.5 drive slots to use for Freenas. I used the system until I outgrew 8 drives and...
  11. Z

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

I also was frustrated by the lack of documentation and capability to control the fans with the IPMI as it seemed my X9 motherboard did not respond to the usual commands. seems every one is a little different. So i used very similar components to what you are using. I left the I/O fan on the...
  12. Z

I have requested an RMA. This truly a mess because the drives were advertised as 7200RPM 64MB cache White Label, but they are in fact 5980RPM 8MB drives so It should be possible to return as "not what was advertised". Working with the seller. I usually buy only old date code/new Hitachi drives...
  13. Z

I purchased 3x 4TB white label drives from an eBay vendor to use in my Truenas server. I have a weird issue that they all report zeros for the serial number. They show the zeros in Crystal Disk Info program (Win 10) and when installed in Truenas. Each drives tests OK when installed separately...
  14. Z

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

looking around I found this board listed. I thought I have seen one that claimed it did not need bifurcation and I wondered if it was fake, Seeing the OP, the technogy was explained Seems like a low cost alternative. I have not tested it, assessing if it can fit in my X9 machine Dual NVMe PCIe...
  15. Z

Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The reason for my question is that I bought some " LC-LC Duplex 50/125 Multimode 10 Gb Fiber Patch Cable Aqua om3-9213" cables from a cable company. They did not work. Those cables were aqua and had yellow/white strain relief and had a thicker cover...
  16. Z

Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

this reference is interesting. 12356169 (broadcom.com) I would like to know why I cannot use Aqua OM4 cables that do not have red and black shields, The ones that have the yellow/white shields do not work. Is there some way to setup the transceivers? or perhaps I had a bunch of bad cables. I...
  17. Z

Alarm at boot with SM X9-DR3-F

Is there a bios setting for the power alarm? I am getting an alarm that seems to be from the power supply monitor. Same alarm I get if I only have power on one supply in other SM systems. My config is custom/bizzare. I replaced the dying Intel S5520HC motherboard in the Intel chassis with a...
  18. Z

NVMe boot on X9-DRW-CF

Thanks, being prepared for disaster often can avert it. I'll checkout the IPMI reflash. I accidentally filled the 240Gb Boot SSD with some unattended downloads. The machine slowed to a crawl. It was so slow I could not delete the files I downloaded. I had to put the disk in another machine to...
  19. Z

NVMe boot on X9-DRW-CF

I want to boot from Sabrent Rocket Q4 NVMe in generic adapter in my X9-DRW-CF motherbaord. I have looked at the Clover method but not the courage to try it. I just loaded a ton of video editing software so I really don't want to start with a new install. I current am running on a 240Gb SSD and I...
  20. Z

FreeNas: How to Bridge Nics like a Switch and DHCP-serve them

I thought my experience comparing a bridge in TRUENAS and 4 Mellanox 10Gb dual port cards as a switch verses a TP-Link TL-SX3008F 8 port 10Gb switch might be useful to anyone viewing this thread. Summary: - Performance of bridge is almost as good as the switch (in my tests) - Bridge takes less...