Search results

1. T

HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

I've been running a x520-da2 in my t730 for a couple of years now. The only issue I have come upon is that without a small strip of kapton tape over pins 5 and 6 to mask the SMBUS the PC would not boot at all.
  2. T

Aruba S2500 update?

I've had my S2500-48T for a while now and wanted to see I was on the latest firmware. Checking the HP site I saw that there was a new firmware dated Jul 14, 2021. The weird thing is that the version number is 7.4.0.7_80725 while up until that point the latest was version 7.4.1.12_72393. Curious...
  3. T

[WTB] [USA-NY] S2500-24P

Looking to consolidate my dumb d-link 16 port switch and separate PoE switch. Was all excited seeing posts that this was a dirt cheap and (with the Noctua mod) quiet solution and then found out noone on eBay is selling it for under $400. Did anyone buy an extra one they don't need back in the...
  4. T

Supermicro X9SCM-F weirdness

Are you saying that all video passes through the BMC before being displayed? If that's the case then it very well could be the issue. The board only has x8 PCI-E slots so none of the video cards I have can even fit. Do you know how I could force a flash of the BMC to the latest version and...
  5. T

I actually upgraded the BIOS from 2.1 to 2.3 by putting the update files on USB and adding the command to update in AUTOEXEC.BAT. While it was upgrading the screen did clear up a bit and I saw progress but the text was all gibberish (or in some weird language, but most likely just gibberish)...
  6. T

So I just got this board/cpu/ram in order to build an unRAID server. Upon power up things looked good for a second (got the Supermicro logo) then things started to look....screwy. Going into the BIOS or the UEFI shell text and everything look fine. But as soon as I try to boot to USB FreeDOS or...
  7. T

m.2 cell NIC for HP t730?

Thanks, That worked! The only issue was that the L43_0115.exe application won't run on a non-HP Thin Client. Thankfully my wife's computer is also a t730 and I was able to do the USB device thing there. For anyone who doesn't have a windows equipped t730, the application seems to copy the...
  8. T

I'm open to pretty much any approach. The install notes (Driver - HP t730 Thin Client | HP® Customer Support) are windows only and seem geared for flashing within a Windows environment.
  9. T

Thanks, this was more for my boss who wants an internal solution. I'd be fine with the dongle. Another question, have you figured out how to update the system BIOS from like either an SSH shell or through the system BIOS directly? The pfSense box is running L43 v01.05 but according to HP, the...
  10. T

(US) Cheap Gigabit fiber adapter for the HP t630, t640 and t730 Thin Clients

That's good to know. When the time comes (aka when the QNAP QSW-1208-8C becomes cheap, or a cheap equivalent appears) I'll have to get an LC to SC cable. Hehe, I just noticed I basically have my t730 set up like yours.
  11. T

Sorry, I just saw this now. Mine came with the BIOS locked but resetting it was simple. I just removed the jumper labeled PSWD/E49 which is near the battery. Powered the system on and allowed it to POST. I then powered the system off, put back the jumper and powered it on again. The password...
  12. T

Does anyone know if there are 4G LTE or 3G m.2 keyed NICs that would work on an HP t730 thin client? I'm running pfSense on mine and was thinking of using the m.2 network slot for failover purposes if the WAN goes down.
  13. T

Intel 942v6 not posting

Putting a small strip of kapton tape over pins 5 and 6 to mask the SMBUS did the trick! Machine booted with no issues, pfSense recognized the card right away. Thank you so much for the help!
  14. T

Intel 942v6 not posting

Since we're getting rid of hardware as part of a LAN/Server refresh at work I was able to get an Intel 942v6. I plugged it into an HP t730 thin client that I am planning to use as a pfSense box and the thing refuses to POST. Power goes on but nothing happens. I thought I read somewhere that...
  15. T

I reached out to the guy. Says his warehouse is in Westbury so that's not so bad (Microcenter is there too so that's going to be a stop.) Waiting to get the address when I can pick up the card.
  16. T

Sorry for trying to resurrect an old post but does anyone have recommendations for a gigabit m.2 NIC for the t730? I have like 10 of these and wanted to use one as a pfSense box. I don't want to put in a card in the PCI-E slot because it's so recessed it makes plugging/unplugging ethernet cables...