Search results

1. M

LOG device on an encrypted pool = single point of failure? Can't unlock pool anymore after loosing SLOG...

Hi, I am running TrueNAS 12 on my server and had some issues with data corruption recently which caused me to temporarily remove my Intel Optane from my server. After finding out the issues were caused by a broken CPU, I replaced the CPU and wanted to re-include my Intel Optane. But something...
  2. M

Wanted: 9207-8i (or equivalent) in Europe

Hi all, Where can I buy one of these HBAs from a reliable source in Europe? This would be my 3rd HBA in less than a year already, so I've already noticed first hand the kind crap that is generally being sold... I would prefer if it is a brand new / original (if those still exist) or that comes...
  3. M

Is the APC Smart-UPS 1000VA a good buy for a silent UPS?

Hi, I just found a 2nd hand APC Smart-UPS 1000VA (SUA1000UXI) with brand new batteries, which I'm considering to use for my FreeNAS server. In the NUT compatibility list (Network UPS Tools - Hardware compatibility list) this UPS is labeled as the worst possible: But what does this mean? *...
  4. M

"Connect using different credentials" on Windows 10 doesn't work

Hi everyone, I'm running Veeam on my Windows 10 clients to backup the OS drive to a FreeNAS dataset. To make it harder for my family to accidentally remove / damage backups, I wanted to let Veeam use a different account for accessing the backups-dataset. However, I'm having trouble connecting...
  5. M

SMB vs NFS vs iSCSI - Share performance on Windows 10

Hi everyone, As I was trying to figure out which datasets / zvols and shares I best create for my home FreeNAS server, I first wanted to get a better idea of the performance of all these options. As my knowledge of these options is still pretty limited, I wanted to share my experiences, so...
  6. M

Does the SAS 2008 chip throttle when overheating?

Hi all, While running the https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/solnet-array-test.1/ script on FreeNAS, I had some very weird behaviour during the seek-tress-read test (which uses dd and takes about a week to complete). During the test my IPMI and network interfaces became unreachable...
  7. M

Genuine IBM M1015 or not

Hi, When searching for a SAS2008 HBA in Belgium / Netherlands, I actually only found one... The seller has an very good reputation (100 reviews, all positive), but when asking for the source of his HBAs, he told me he buys them from people in China / Hong Kong. Given his reputation, I'm quite...
  8. M

Most silent 12TB HDD (helium filled)

Hi, So far I wasn't able to find anywhere on the internet a decent noise comparison between 12TB (or larger) HDDs. I already know that helium filled HDDs are quite silent @ idle (and that is also the only specification that that most brands officially list), but I'd like to know which HDDs are...