Search results

1. YardBouncer

EU UK Cheap Fusion-io £150 3.2TB and £400 6.4TB PCI-e SSDs

No problem. If you have a working Win 7 install you can MAYBE rule out hardware assuming Win 7 sees it OK. Certainly worth a try. The Linux live CD thing is also well worth a go, Linux makes it a lot easier to probe unknown connected hardware. If you don't know Linux ( I don't) there's loads of...
  2. YardBouncer

Bummer. Personally I'd make sure the card is sound by trying it in another machine. You definitely need to make sure the card is OK first of all. Got an auld knacker lying about? Some old C2D or even a Celeron? If not would recommend trying it in a mate's machine. Its often easy to get free...
  3. YardBouncer

Ah, didn't realise it couldn't actually see the card at all. You say the white LED is smoothly pulsing? Got any other cards to try in that slot, other slots to try the card in, or another PC to experiment with (preferably a workstation or server)? Might be worth having a play with a USB...
  4. YardBouncer

Would you mind posting the fio-status -a output? It should work with Win 10 although I've only tried with 7 x64 so far. The firmware version of the card needs to match the driver, you may have to flash the firmware first. What slot is it in? Since it's a gaming motherboard have you made sure...
  5. YardBouncer

Good job on buying one of the cards; you won't regret it (once you get it going of course). When you ask a question like that its always best to provide as much information as possible. Things like: OS and version, x86 or x84, CPU, RAM, other drives/cards installed, any other issues with the...
  6. YardBouncer

Ooof. You never forget an experience like that. Pain teaches lessons words never can. If only the words had preceded the action. There's about half a dozen moments in my life I wish I could've just paused and rewound a few seconds. Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide etc) called a moment like...
  7. YardBouncer

Yeah, I know they're nowhere near the same ballpark. I got it in a way that didn't really cost me anything so I'm using it for now because its loads faster than SATA3 and my Ivy Bridge z820 is just too old to use NVMe boot devices painlessly. Theres not much on there that can't be easily...
  8. YardBouncer

By the way @acquacow there's something I've been wondering about re my Fusion-IO card. My main OS is Win7 Pro x64. It has obviously just gone EOL and even though I'll have access to the extended support patches till 2023 I'm going to set up another SSD with a Win 10 Pro x64 install on the same...
  9. YardBouncer

Now that is REALLY interesting! I don't suppose you have any idea of what that temp range is? I'm thinking mainly in terms of solder melting point, capacitor popcorning and other exciting phenomena like that. If it requires desoldering the NAND first I suspect thats a bridge too far for me as...
  10. YardBouncer

IBM 90Y8732 3TB 3.5" SAS : Any issues with firmware when used with HP P812?

Ah, if only. I'm a bottom feeder; I'll be able to afford some of those lovely He drives once they've been hammered in production for 5 years or so. I blew most of my years play money on that z820 (fairly decent spec: 2x E5-2637 v2, 64GB ECC, 3.2TB PCI-e SSD, HP P812 RAID, few other bits) and a...
  11. YardBouncer

Yeah, its the age that really decided me against them. They can be found here for anyone who wants any (UK based): IBM (90Y8732) 3TB SAS-2 (3.5 ) 6Gbps 7.2K HDD Most stuff runs for ages once it gets through the infant mortality phase but 7 or 8 years is pushing it for something thats been...
  12. YardBouncer

The difference in price between the US and the UK for 'reconditioned' SAS drives is ludicrous. We seem to pay literally three times as much! Theres obviously the odd bargain to be had but they're rare and sell out instantly. Re firmware I'm not surprised; the drive vendor knows their products...
  13. YardBouncer

Around £30 each. Do you reckon they are normal drives? That line on the label: IBM Option: Feature: 3460/3461 is what made me stop and think. These forums and the net in general are full of pleas for help from people who've bought a dozen drives at too good to be true prices and they...
  14. YardBouncer

Hi chaps and chapesses, As the title states I'm considering buying some IBM 90Y8732 3TB SAS2 drives. They look like normal 3.5" SAS drives but they are considerably cheaper than the HP or Dell branded ones. I've learned to be a bit wary when I see bargains like that. Does anyone know if they...
  15. YardBouncer

Nice work @acquacow. Thats the direction I'm headed down; I'll probably get there by the time 100GBe is where everyone else lives :) There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. Thats a bummer. Always liked the idea of Linux but never had the mental bandwidth to tackle it; too many other...
  16. YardBouncer

Absolutely. Man after my own heart. Me too. Its the only way to learn properly. I learned electronics the same way; constant fiddling and breaking stuff then repairing it again :-) IOPS are the easy bit. Its buckin bandwidth thats torturing me these days. 10GBe adapters and switches are still...
  17. YardBouncer

Would be a perfect use for one. Most of us seem to be using them as PC/workstation general storage as if they were just large cheap SSDs. Like using a tank that can go 200mph in order to go to the local shop for a pint of milk. Drivers are needed. In fact they are a large part of the card's...
  18. YardBouncer

They are well worth it, superb cards. Do be aware they have upped the price since I first posted that.
  19. YardBouncer

That makes complete sense. A nasty AND cunning hack. I know E7s cost a lot more so if your application could stand the extra latency its a compromise worth making. I wonder if the salesmen pointed that out or just said 'heres some extra cheap quad boxes we made cos we're clever'. Interesting...
  20. YardBouncer

Yeah, @acquacow is a living leg end. Knows everything about these cards and is very helpful. If you only have the RAID card in you've the choice of 3 slots - luxury! R820 looks very nice, learned something new from looking at the specs too. I always thought that quad CPU boxes had to use the...