Search results

1. N

Server 2016 + SAS 3008 + HP Expander not working

Hi all. Have been setting up my new server, and it's driving me crazy. I have a Supermicro X11-SSL-CF with onboard SAS3008 controller, flashed to IT-mode and connected to a HP Expander. Windows Server 2016 reports a Error ID 11, Lsi_sas3: "The driver detected a controller error on...
  2. N

What to buy: E3-12xxL v3 vs V5

Thank you everybody. I'll be going after the biggest v5 that fits my budget and not bother with the tdp, as it will be idle most of the time anyway ;-) On a sidenote (perhaps a new thread?): Anyone running a similar setup as to lsi 3008 -> Reverse breakout -> HP expander -> sff 8087 backplane...
  3. N

Very important information - thanks. I was going for the L-version, because of the lower TDP, but if idle is the same, and they have the same sleep-states, then you're right. The non-L version makes better sense. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. N

I know - but should that really make a difference? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. N

Thanks, pyro_ The v5 is pretty cheap at the moment on eBay Intel Confidential Xeon E3-1240L v5 Quad Core 2.10GHz CPU QJHG | eBay Just wanted to check if i overlooked something major as to differences performancewise between the two CPUs. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. N

No more than 32GB, but good point though. The zfs-array will not be bigger than 5-6TB at the most. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. N

Hi all. Looking for help as to which CPU/Mobo-combo to buy: low-power home server running ZFS and snapraid (depending on data criticality), plex (incl. 4K streams) and pfsense. E3-12xxL V5: (~25W TDP) MB: X11SSL-CF X11SSL-CF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. SAS LSI 3008...
  8. N

Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440 (48 Bay SAS) Rebuild for Home Use

No, leave it. Others may have the same problems regarding power, and here's the solution ;-)
  9. N

EU HP SAS Expander €30

The expander works essentially as a switch, and doesn't see disk. Only the controller does, which means that the controller limits the the disk size, NOT the expander. Check the HP SAS expander thread in the forum. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. N

EU HP SAS Expander €30

Controleur HP 468405-002 | eBay Still a few left.
  11. N

Low-power mass storage media server

Hi all. Been browsing STH/forums for months now, searching for input on a new build. My old (6+ years) HP DL180 G5 (12-bay) is slow, uses a lot of power, and is noisy, so - time to upgrade. Build’s Name: Low Power Media Storage Server Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2008/2012...
  12. N

Recomend a RAID-controller for HP DL180 G5

RAID x0 arrays goes way beyound my scope - it's a file/media-server for home use. SAS-disks i also way beyond the reasonable price-tag for my setup... The 'I' in my RAID stands for Inexpensive ;-) I've been reading a lot tonight about the different RAID-cards, and have (90%) decided on a IBM...
  13. N

Are you telling me, that if i switch to SAS drives my expand times will drop to around a day or two? there is 3600*24*7*3 =1.841.400 seconds in three weeks. There's 200.000MB to 2TB. That gives an expansion rate of 2.000.000MB/1.841.400 secs = 0.1MB/s or roughly 100kByte/s. Doesn't makes sense...
  14. N

Hi all @ sth-forums ;-) A few months ago i purchased a HP DL180 G5 rackserver w/ 12 bays. I've had a DIY server running for several years wih standard parts and a HP P800 controller which i bought because of the high port count. I has been rock solid, however expansion times are awfully slow...