Search results

1. L

10Gb SFP+ card for PC to switch, Sonnet Presto Solo reviews?

I would like to connect my PC RAID server to US-16-XG Ubiquiti 10Gb switch using SFP+. I would prefer only a single port, and would like it to be PICe3.0 X4, so as to not to unduly burden my expansion slot requirements. PCIe X8 just isn't needed for a single-port card on PCIe3.0. But if the...
  2. L

Intel D-1518 build for PFSense 10Gb SFP+ router

It is finally time to updgrade my old Draytek 2130 wired router. It served admirably for nearly 10 years, and can maintain 700Mbit hardware NAT throughput to WAN on my 1Gb Comcast internet, but it is showing it's age with slow VPN encryption and old VPN security standards. And I guess my new...
  3. L

Areca 1882ix-16 motherboard compatibility

I am about to pull the trigger on an Areca 1882ix-16 version 3 RAID card. My Highpoint 3520 has annoyed me one too many times - it's favorite trick appears to be hanging windows for several minutes during boot, but I am also blaming it for my Asus Xonar D2X soundcard driver refusing to install...
  4. L

The drive cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum

I guess I finally crossed the 16TB barrier with Win 7 x64 and 8X 3TB Hitachi 5K3000 drives. I currently have 64K stripes in the RAID card, 4096 bytes per cluster, and 512 byte sectors. I expanded the array from 7 to 8 3TB drives in RAID6 using an old Highpoint 3520 IOP341 card, but cannot...
  5. L

Hitachi 5K3000 dropped from array

Just had the unpleasant experience of finding a drive dropped from my RAID6 array with a Highpoint 3520 card. First time this has happened in almost 4 years of large-scale storage. My previous array of 5X Seagate ST31000340NS 1 TB never dropped a drive from the array, although a couple of them...
  6. L

Highpoint support of 35XX cards discontinued

Well, I found out that using the Hitachi 5K3000 drives with my Highpoint 3520 SATAII RAID card causes a 3 minute hang during boot at classPNP.sys. This could have become a problem when I migrated from RAID5 to RAID6, but is not acceptable. The PC does boot, and the RAID array works fine. But...
  7. L

Tale of two 7K3000 Hitachis

It is about time for me to upgrade from my venerable Seagate 1 TB ST1000340NS 'enterprise' 5-drive RAID array. Wouldn't it be great to leapfrog the 2 TB drives and upgrade to 3 TB? But they're expensive. Wait, I found the Hitachi 7K3000 Deskstar 0F12450 available for $215. That is alot less...