Search results

1. L

Ubiquiti Networks US-16-XG 10G ?

I just got one of these, using it with Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 EN SFP+ cards in two PCs, and a pfSense router on a Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F 10Gb SFP+ motherboard. It works well, I speed-tested two PCs through the switch at 8Gbits. I was expecting 10Gb, but Mellanox refers to the PCIe...
  2. L

10Gb SFP+ card for PC to switch, Sonnet Presto Solo reviews?

Thanks, but this is for Windows. The Mellanox suggestion may be appropriate.
  3. L

10Gb SFP+ card for PC to switch, Sonnet Presto Solo reviews?

I would like to connect my PC RAID server to US-16-XG Ubiquiti 10Gb switch using SFP+. I would prefer only a single port, and would like it to be PICe3.0 X4, so as to not to unduly burden my expansion slot requirements. PCIe X8 just isn't needed for a single-port card on PCIe3.0. But if the...
  4. L

Intel D-1518 build for PFSense 10Gb SFP+ router

It is finally time to updgrade my old Draytek 2130 wired router. It served admirably for nearly 10 years, and can maintain 700Mbit hardware NAT throughput to WAN on my 1Gb Comcast internet, but it is showing it's age with slow VPN encryption and old VPN security standards. And I guess my new...
  5. L

Toshiba announces 12 new 3.5"desktop drives

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have 11 of the Hitachi (now Toshiba) 3 TB 5900 RPM drives. Bought them both as bare drives under the Hitachi brand and ripped several out of the Canvio external case. I use them all on a Areca 1680ix16 RAID card. They have been flawless, the best of all...
  6. L

Areca 1882ix-16 motherboard compatibility

Got the ARC-1882ix-16 After building the 18TB RAID6 of 8 each Hitachi/Toshiba 5K3000 of two different vintages, the shiny new Areca appears to work well. I benchmarked with Atto at 700/800MB per sec write/read. It does not hang the PC for 3 minutes like the old Highpoint 3520 :rolleyes...
  7. L

Areca 1882ix-16 motherboard compatibility

I am about to pull the trigger on an Areca 1882ix-16 version 3 RAID card. My Highpoint 3520 has annoyed me one too many times - it's favorite trick appears to be hanging windows for several minutes during boot, but I am also blaming it for my Asus Xonar D2X soundcard driver refusing to install...
  8. L

The drive cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum

finally done! Finally finished this re-size project with 8KB clusters to break the 16 TB barrier. Adding that last 3TB 5K3000 drive was painful. Despite the fact the data at risk was not critical, I took Odditory's advice and bought 3 more 3 TB drives so I could completely wipe the RAID6 and...
  9. L

The drive cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum

Not bad advice at all. However, I am already done with the cluster conversion via shrinking/extending. All that remains is to convert from dynamic disk back to basic, on a single, physical "drive". In theory, this is more straightforward the in-place cluster conversion. We'll see. I have...
  10. L

still shuffling data Still moving data, defragmenting and resizing. If you look at the disk storage management screenshot below you will see Windows Dynamic Disks is still viewing chunks of my RAID6 array is different physical "drives" when I expand temp_expand (M: ). This is a single RAID 6...
  11. L

OK. Too late for this approach. You certainly can't with Windows 7 storage manager, but third-party tools claim to be able to do so. As always, the question is how reliable are they?
  12. L

bit the bullet OK, so I bit the bullet and am shrinking, expanding, combining partitions and moving data. Before I expand the partition I format the unallocated space to 8192 bytes cluster size. Not sure if this is necessary. The snag is that storage management tool insisted I convert to...
  13. L

That looks like a linux tool run off a boot CD. Don't see how that would work with a RAID array needing drivers . . .
  14. L

Agreed it is good to be wary of tools. Still, I can't help but think there is an easier way to re-write to a larger cluster size than repeatedly shrinking, copying, and expanding two volumes on the same RAID array. This would put my array out of commision for a week or two due to files being...
  15. L

That sounds like the most painful way to accomplish this, without using any tools other than Windows. I think Partition Magic can rewrite the cluster size in-place without days or weeks of shuffling and re-sizing. And re-sizing a partition to a smaller size is not necessarily that straightforward.
  16. L

I guess I finally crossed the 16TB barrier with Win 7 x64 and 8X 3TB Hitachi 5K3000 drives. I currently have 64K stripes in the RAID card, 4096 bytes per cluster, and 512 byte sectors. I expanded the array from 7 to 8 3TB drives in RAID6 using an old Highpoint 3520 IOP341 card, but cannot...
  17. L

Hitachi Harddisks Thread (5K3000, 7K3000, 7K2000)

Argh. I'm not even sure I still have my XP SP3 disc . . . I'll look into this.
  18. L

The DOS updater doesn't see my 0F12460 5K3000 3 TB disc in IDE mode on port 0. It has filename "MKDLBRD.EXE", while the firmware is "ME0NRA10.BD". I suspect the updater is not correct for the 3 TB 5K3000 discs. Hi-test does not appear to run under win 7 x64, so I need the DOS updater. Does...
  19. L

Thanks for the firmware. I will plan to upgrade a 6-drive RAID6 array that is currently at version 580. Can I do this (using motherboard SATAII port) from windows using hi-test 2.38? Trying to create a DOS boot CD or USB flash drive is always such a PITA and seems to mostly not work. Who has...
  20. L

I second the request to post the firmware. Just to clarify, you are using 3 TB 5K3000 Hitachi discs?