Search results

1. N

Home server update: LGA 2011-3 + Xeon E5 V3/V4

Frankly, I've had more problems with dodgy people/goods on eBay and Amazon than Aliexpress.
  2. N

Shoehorning Duallies (2xE5-2696V3)

A quick benchmark (logged in to KDE with a few services running so not as good as it could be). https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/13439656
  3. N

@tubs-ffm You could always try Aliexpress. A lot of the stores are now VAT registered which takes the whole customs issue out of the equation. My most recent chip order took about 2 weeks to arrive.
  4. N

I was being cautious - I know Intel motherboards were particularly bad at not supporting OEM chips in the Sandy/Ivy bridge era.
  5. N

The "sleeper" chip in the LGA2011-3 range is the E5-2696V3 with 18-cores that clock up to 3.8GHz (Wikipedia is correct on this one!). Compares quite well with a Threadripper 1950X in single and multicore for under $100 with reg-ecc support and all the other nice Xeon goodies.. Of course, it is...
  6. N

Shoehorning Duallies (2xE5-2696V3)

Posted a few of these on 2CPU way back when. I like to bulld cheaply and compactly - https://neilstechdocs.blogspot.com/2022/03/shoehorning-duallies-slightly-bigger.html Build’s Name: Bit of a beast! Operating System/ Storage Platform: OpenSuse/KVM CPU: 2x E5-2696 V3 (36-cores, 72 threads...
  7. N

ATX12V vs EPS12V dilemma for Supermicro board

They could well have done - my TX650M's didn't and 550W/450W PSU's certainly won't.
  8. N

ATX12V vs EPS12V dilemma for Supermicro board

Don't worry too much about it. I suspect the person in that other forum didn't know what they were doing. As stated, EPS12V is basically two 4-pin ATX 12V connectors stuck together. Some motherboards (Asus springs to mind) would work if you plugged an ATX 12V connector into the correct half of...
  9. N

UK (UK) Need a 12U cabinet!

Since you're already going to Ikea you could try building a LackRack to fit: LackRack - Eth0Wiki
  10. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Mine do (I have boards from Killsre, Huananxhi and Jingsha).
  11. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

E5-26xx Xeons are generally locked so the best you can do for overclocking is maybe tweak BCLK. For overclocking you either want an E5-16xx (or a 2011-3 motherboard with an E5 V3). More information can be found here: Xeon-e5450.ru - Серверные процессоры для игровых и рабочих ПК. Характеристики...
  12. N

Supermicro X9dri Turbo Boost problem and how to turn it properly ON Xeon e5-2680 v2

Linux tends to distribute its threads quite widely among CPU's and the default intel frequency governer spins them up to turbo speeds quite quickly. The general principle being that it uses less power getting the job done quickly and then idling (also remembering that the cpu frequency...
  13. N

Does an 8+ slot PCIe 4x motherboard exist?

Supermicro H11SSl-NT is close - 7 slots 16/8x plus 2 onboard 10GB ports
  14. N

Supermicro X9dri Turbo Boost problem and how to turn it properly ON Xeon e5-2680 v2

Sounds like power/thermal budget limitations. Windows also seems to have problems with Ivy/Sandy bridge - try changing Windows Power Management to Performance.
  15. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Which motherboard? There are dozens. Generally it's silkscreened onto them but most use the standard color coding on a yellow header...red for HDD LED, green for power LED, blue for reset switch and black for power switch.
  16. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Might be the SSD overheating and throttling. Motherboard M.2 slots tend to be hard to get airflow to.
  17. N

Move from dual cpu server to single cpu to reduce power consumption

You can also generally set the power limits on the CPU in the BIOS so going for a higher powered CPU and limiting it is an option. Then you can fine tune your performance/power balance. For example, I had a pair of E5-2643's which I limited to 95W with 115W boost (as opposed to 130W/156W). In...
  18. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

...I guess technically all of my 2011 motherboards are Chinese-made - Lenovo, SuperMicro, Asus all manufacture in China or Taiwan too!
  19. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Very unlikely, the easiest way to get the required functionality is to use the chipset. I can locate 1000+ quantities in surplus shops in HK and China pretty easily for way below the original price so it's the easiest way to go - it's still probably the most expensive component on the board even...
  20. N

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

I would have thought that but the X79 and C602 share the same datasheet from Intel, the X79 is literally just the lowest C600-series SKU. All these motherboards seem to have feature sets (e.g. 6 SATA ports, no Intel ME) which match actually using an X79...although, as far as I can see from the...