Search results

1. L

Dell R640 with Graphics Card

I just did a bit more testing and tried the other riser, same issue. But then I decided to plug in the second PSU (silly me!) and then, guess what? It worked. So I put it back into riser2, retried and, yes, it works. Clean boot, no issues and a nice cool blue glowing light! I'm not sure if...
  2. L

Dell R640 with Graphics Card

Hello, I am trying to understand and hear from anyone with experience putting a graphics card in a Dell R640 server. I say "graphics card" not "gpu" because I actually want to use its display outputs to run a workstation in a vm using pcie passthru. Now I had an old ATI card lying around and I...
  3. L

Read errors on Seagate ST8000VN004 - Firmware Update ?

I have a raidz2 pool of six 8TB seagate ironwolf drives ST8000VN004-2M2101. I've recently been moving large amounts of data to and from it and have noticed read errors reported by zpool status (only read errors, write and cksum values are zero). I've checked smartctl and the drives are all...
  4. L

Xeon E-2100/2200 + Supermicro for home lab. UK availability?

The 2278 is still unobtanium. It's also more than double the price. I decided to go for the 2146 as it's the price/performance sweet spot. I may upgrade it in due course to get the 2278 or whatever is cool, compatible and obtainable at that time. I'm still tweaking things so the power may drop...
  5. L

Hello, I thought I'd drop a note to say that I have finally got my server. SuperMicro X11SCH-LN4F Intel E-2146G 2x 16GB 6x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 1x Corsair Force MP510 I'm running Arch Linux and currently pulling around 65w at the wall. Still setting things up though. Interestingly, it was...
  6. L

Cache plans for ZFS server

Thanks for this informative answer @gea. I finally get why the write "cache" is called a "log". So, if I understand correctly, for write protection I should just get an optane ssd and partition it so my pools can have slog, and enable sync for them. This is worth doing as I plan running some...
  7. L

Cache plans for ZFS server

So I have taken the plunge and am building a Linux lab server around a E2100 Xeon. I have six 8TB SATA drives that I plan to put into a ZFS RaidZ2 pool. I am considering adding some L2ARC and ZIL/SLOG cache to increase IOPS and I have a 240GB M2 SSD (Corsair MP510) for that. To complete the...
  8. L

ZFS, 512e and 4KN drives

I'm looking to put 6 drives, 8TB, in a ZFS Raid Z2. Should I look at 512e or 4kn drives? Looking at Seagate Ironwolf. (NE=pro drives). I've found five different current models, so it's quite confusing! This is for a home office development box. "512E" (512B emulated) ST8000VN004 ST8000NE001...
  9. L

Hi the case I am looking at is a Silverstone CS380. I don't know whether these CPUs (the E-2x00 series) are passively cooled ? Yes I was thinking alongs the lines of WD Reds or similar. Probably with a gold PSU, I was thinking I'd need a 300W-ish to be safe? I reckon if idle is below 60w for the...
  10. L

I have been trying to build a new "home lab" server around the E-2100 series for some months now but can't get the parts. And now we have the E-2200 series, probably also equally unobtainable. I thought I'd ask for any pointers towards a system builder/parts provider in the UK who may be able to...