Search results

1. B

Napp-It Linux - post install sudo problems

I'm working on a Linux install with Napp-It and twice on an Ubuntu 18.04 VM on ESX I've run into problems where after the install script has run I can't use sudo any longer. If I try to run a sudo command after entering the password the screen just echoes back and it never executes my command...
  2. B

Stacking Voltaire 4036 switches

We are looking at a second rack in our datacenter and right now we use a single 4036 switch for our IB NFS traffic. I'm trying to locate the steps for stacking/bridging 2 switches together and the best I could come up with so far was to disable SM on one switch and just run a cable between the...
  3. B

ZFS tiered storage

I've been doing some cursory research on ZFS tiering and it seems to come down to ARC and log cache on top of slower drives. It started me thinking about our current environment and what would be the best approach to our storage. We were looking at moving our databases to SSD arrays with the...
  4. B

SRP - am I doing it right?

I'm working on getting SRP configured between Napp-It and VMWare and I just trying to figure out if I am doing it right. Does this screenshot show that I am running over SRP? I was looking at several threads specifically markpower28's thread on it...
  5. B

Mellanox Optical Transceiver/VPI connectivity

I just wanted to see if these will work with ConnectX-2 VPI (40GB/s) cards: Mellanox SSF 8436 QSFP MC2207310 Infiniband Optical Transceiver Emcore | eBay I know the cables have been cut, but it seems like a good price for the transceivers if they will work. I am thinking those would be much...
  6. B

What are you using for your vCenter backups?

We currently have PHD Virtual in place but that is going EOL in January. They are trying to sell us on UEB but I am really done with Unitrends as a whole. The rotating sales weenies look at our support tickets when the reach out to introduce themselves and you hear the sound of dread over the...
  7. B

Voltaire 4036 rail options?

I just received my Voltaire 4036 switch and I am looking for rails. I was waiting to get this in to see if they were part of the listing or not as I have had some extras appear that were not in the original eBay listing. Any suggestions on maybe some generic rails or something inexpensive that...
  8. B

Mellanox purchase - need a sanity check

Before I pull the trigger on some hardware I just wanted to get a sanity check from those of you who have used the ConnectX-2 stuff. It gets a little confusing with the different product lines and SKUs so here's what I am planning: 1. OmniOS Napp-It ZFS appliance: MHRH2A XSR Mellanox Connectx...
  9. B

New SSD HBA options

TL;DR: Any reason why we can't use M1015 or Dell H200 controllers with Samsung/Crucial SSDs? I am looking to get a Supermicro SC216 to extend our ZFS servers to add SSDs and I am looking for a good match on an HBA card to drive it. We will be looking at either Samsung 840/850 drives or...
  10. B

2.5 JBOD chassis options

I am looking to expand my current ZFS AIO server with some SATA SSDs and I am trying to price out some enclosure options. Right now I like the SuperMicro SC417/SC418 cases but the price/availability isn't where I would prefer to be. I'd like to have at least 24 bays for growth. I see the HP...
  11. B

Dell r710 internal SSD (with vCenter)

I am looking to add internal SSD drive into an r710 so I can utilize the 6 current SSD drives as part of a new Napp-It server. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this as my current Velocity Solo PCIe SSD adapter is not being seen by vSphere but it is recognized on boot. I see a...
  12. B

ZFS SSD configuration options

We're looking at adding some SSDs into our current NFS storage for our SQL Server VMs. I am looking at probably 256GB Samsung 840 Pro drives. We run everything in VMWare to a Napp-It NFS server. We're looking at 5 drives to start and I am torn between a Raid-Z configuration or going with...
  13. B

Infiniband - help on what to buy

I spent the better part of last night going through the infiniband threads here and while I understand the concepts and processes, I am trying to make some heads or tails out of specifically what I would look to purchase in my environment. The current environment is as follows: 1...