Search results

1. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I can't speak to the 10.x codetrain, but I would stay away from 09.x for the time being. I was just telling @fohdeesha the other day about how my 7450's running the latest 09.x somehow suffered a spontaneous VLAN "collapse." All of my ports got reset to the default VLAN and I only noticed it...
  2. B

Cisco Nexus N9K

For context: I transitioned from Brocade/Ruckus to two Cisco C9348GC-FXPs (48x 1 GbE, 4x 25 GbE, 2x 100GbE) switches in the last three months. I have one active, one spare - pro tip for these and other switches: it's far cheaper to buy an entire kitted out switch than two spare power supplies...
  3. B

New switch recommendations to replace 7450-48p

As you say, this thread is partly for future reference. With that in mind, you get to choose one of the following: Cheap Efficient Powerful ;) I get what you are saying and can empathize.. my home lab is sitting around 450W, but that is mostly due to multiple spinning rust platters and not...
  4. B

Dell Chelsio T520-CR equipment compatibility

Based on what you were saying, the firmware could have a bug that is causing it to freeze when loading. I would use the DOS utility (it works fine under FreeDOS) to flash a recent firmware and try to boot again in the Dell. You could do all of this with your Dell server, but if there really is...
  5. B

Dell Chelsio T520-CR equipment compatibility

Hmm. I have successfully used T520-CRs in mainboards from ASUS and Supermicro for the past 2-3 Intel CPU generations, minimal (if any) tweaks to the configuration... mainly for optimization, not compatibility. At your own risk, I would try them in a different system and update the firmware to...
  6. B

Chelsio NIC breakdown

It's not in the format or at the granularity you might have in mind. There are 36 VPD files in the 3.16.0.1 driver release (./ChelsioUwire-3.16.0.1/tools/chelsio_adapter_config_v4/vpds/), each one used to tweak things like the ASIC core clock speed, memory speed, product identifier, supported...
  7. B

Chelsio NIC breakdown

You can reprogram the vital product data (VPD) with the "chelsio_adapter_config" utility included with the Linux source package (e.g. ChelsioUwire-3.16.0.1/tools/chelsio_adapter_config_v4). I believe Chelsio used "silicon binning" to create the low-latency (LL) card SKUs. From what I have...
  8. B

QSFP28 100G to differents speeds like 40Gb

It's interesting that someone (FS) took the time to write an article about QSFP28 interoperability. My homelab switch is an ICX7450-24 (2x 40GigE, 1x 4x10GigE modules) with the SFP+/QSFP+ modules fully populated. Sometimes I've found 25GigE (SFP28) and 100GigE (QSFP28) cables new in box for...
  9. B

Always good advice :cool: That said, my two 7450s are running recent 09010 releases and are stable... but my configs are pretty basic L2 stuff (two VLANs, QoS, full mirror/monitor), the switches rarely hit 10% utilization, and I avoid the web GUI like the plague.
  10. B

Access points - port performance relevance

What Patrick and others have said relative to WAN side performance is absolutely true.. going from 1G to 2.5G will not improve your internet experience if your WAN connection is 1G or less. There could be improvements from replacing faulty cables or switching to a different media (e.g. DAC...
  11. B

N3K-C3172TQ-10GT and similar Cisco switches

Oh! That's a whole different ballgame.. as you probably know, the way this usually works is you give your preferred vendor the requirements, their sales engineers conjure up a purchase order for equipment to meet your requirements. So you hope. If you are trying to do this on your own, read...
  12. B

You're not missing anything. If you are comfortable with the age of the switch and don't need/want any new features of the 809x or 9xxx codetrains, get yourself a nice switch. In fact, get two.. when I priced out buying individual spare parts (PSU, fan, port modules) it was just as expensive...
  13. B

@fohdeesha and I discussed this privately a while ago. Either platform (Broadcom or Marvell) will meet the needs of most everyone with 1/10 GbE devices. If you are really bumping into performance limitations on either one, there are better options available like Arista. When I rebuilt my home...
  14. B

N3K-C3172TQ-10GT and similar Cisco switches

Ah, you must be looking at the -10GT units for $1.5k or -XL units for $1.2k on eBay. Those are some capable switches, especially if you want to throw object models at the -XL variant. Truth is, though, they are grossly overspec'd for home use (if that is your plan) unless you have a niche ULL...
  15. B

Xeon W-3200 processor in C622 motherboard?

No, the other way around and I was being facetious... Anyhow, thanks for the discussion guys. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
  16. B

The W-3200 series is not officially supported with the C622 chipset, that's an Intel thing. I imagine it will work, I am hoping it will work, but if it lets out the magic smoke of my X11SPi-TF, Supermicro will say I am out of luck.
  17. B

Not retail (I think the W-3245/-3265/-3275 were Apple parts), but QS or not specified. eBay listings start at $598 OBO.
  18. B

Thanks for the replies and discussion. @RolloZ170 picked up on my exact plan: upgrade the 5218 to a W-3245M. For a single-processor application, it looks like a perfect match - same core count, increase the base/turbo clock speeds by 1GHz+, and they are now available for $500-$600 on eBay. I...
  19. B

My current home server is a couple of years old, built on an early Xeon Scalable (FCLGA3647) in a C622 based motherboard. I have seen some decent prices on Xeon W-3200 processors (also FCLGA3647) with the same core count but 1GHz+ higher base clock speeds. The W-3200 processors are intended...
  20. B

I have been testing the 09000 release on my personal 7450s. Like @fohdeesha said, the new web GUI is the most visible change. Did not run into any noticeable bugs but I am planning to return my gear to the 0809x codetrain for now. Earlier today, I stumbled across this notice regarding 08090m...