Search results

1. M

Home NAS based on TinyMiniMicro PC

I have a Lenovo M90q Tiny and a USB 5-disk enclosure with 4TB harddrives. I'm now trying to decide which OS/NAS software to use. Ideally I'd like a network smb share to use as a backup for all of our computers, as well as a home server for things like Jellyfin streaming. I am looking at TrueNAS...
  2. M

Questions about Windows licenses and best ways to install

I have a ThinkCentre M90q TMM that came preinstalled with Windows. I changed the drives and lost the install, and I've come to the realization I haven't installed windows since WIndows 7 and things might have changed a bit. The chassis has a windows holographic sticker, but I don't see any key...
  3. M

Used HGST He10 drives -- good value?

I bought a 5-bay Sabrent DS-SC5B enclosure and a "TinyMiniMicro" to pair with it. Enclosure is USB 3.1 10Gbps. I'm going to use TrueNAS scale and set up a 5-disk raidz2. Since I'm limited to 5 disks, in the interest of making this as small as possible, I'm looking at larger drives. Are there...
  4. M

"shucking" external hdds always cheaper than bare drives?

I heard that people shuck external drives when they're on sale to get cheap high capacity HDDs, but is it always cheaper? I'm looking for an >4TB internal drive and it seems like all the external 3.5" drives are usually $50 less. Is there a better place to buy bare HDDs from? Thanks