Search results

1. M

Home NAS based on TinyMiniMicro PC

Thanks I will check out SnapRaid and Unraid too. I'd much rather stick with Linux based solutions if possible. I will try TrueNAS first I'm just hoping the JBOD enclosure lets the computer see all the raw drives, rather than adding some kind of layer of abstraction which might screw things up.
  2. M

Home NAS based on TinyMiniMicro PC

I have a Lenovo M90q Tiny and a USB 5-disk enclosure with 4TB harddrives. I'm now trying to decide which OS/NAS software to use. Ideally I'd like a network smb share to use as a backup for all of our computers, as well as a home server for things like Jellyfin streaming. I am looking at TrueNAS...
  3. M

Questions about Windows licenses and best ways to install

Thanks and I've realized it was a pretty dumb question, I found the windows download link easily. For some reason I remember it being VERY difficult to find the download page for Windows 7 years ago.
  4. M

Questions about Windows licenses and best ways to install

I have a ThinkCentre M90q TMM that came preinstalled with Windows. I changed the drives and lost the install, and I've come to the realization I haven't installed windows since WIndows 7 and things might have changed a bit. The chassis has a windows holographic sticker, but I don't see any key...
  5. M

Used HGST He10 drives -- good value?

Thanks for giving me that info, this is my first time setting something like this up so I wasn't sure what to expect. The drives are connected to the NAS via 10Gbps USB, which isn't much faster than your 5 drive raid array. (thought there would be much more headroom}. Did the seller guarantee...
  6. M

I have to use SATA with my enclosure. I may be overthinking the 4K vs 512e thing, as I'm not expecting a ton of performance out of a 5 drive array anyway. 8TB HGST SATA drives seem to be available at around $100 on ebay, might just try those.
  7. M

The drives are "refurbished" server drives on ebay, with warranties, from the RESELLERS. Also, further reading into the power-disable feature has revealed that not all of these drives are 4K sector drives, which I would assume I want for large drives. $14 per TB isn't bad, I'll look into...
  8. M

I bought a 5-bay Sabrent DS-SC5B enclosure and a "TinyMiniMicro" to pair with it. Enclosure is USB 3.1 10Gbps. I'm going to use TrueNAS scale and set up a 5-disk raidz2. Since I'm limited to 5 disks, in the interest of making this as small as possible, I'm looking at larger drives. Are there...
  9. M

(water)cooling solutions for socket 2011 narrow ILM?

Looks OEM! What tower case do you have that fits full E-ATX?
  10. M

"shucking" external hdds always cheaper than bare drives?

Thanks for the help. I will go with shucking a drive for now as I just need a single one. When I put together my NAS I may consider used or refurbished drives.
  11. M

"shucking" external hdds always cheaper than bare drives?

I heard that people shuck external drives when they're on sale to get cheap high capacity HDDs, but is it always cheaper? I'm looking for an >4TB internal drive and it seems like all the external 3.5" drives are usually $50 less. Is there a better place to buy bare HDDs from? Thanks