Search results

1. G

Fake Intel X710's

I've looked at the threads for determining if an i350 or x520 NIC are counterfeit but I have not been able to find one for x710-da2/4. I'm thinking about purchasing the 710 series over the 520 for a build I'm working on but not sure what to look for in the eBay pictures to determine if they are...
  2. G

Hardware suggestions to reduce power usage

Ok I've been reading through the napp-it vCluster documents. It sounds like I could setup a host with ESXi and some NVMe drives and use the shared disks to create h1 and h2 but when I need to update that host it will need to be brought offline so I'm trying to look at how to do it with two hosts...
  3. G

Any recommendations for HA storage for a 2 node vSphere cluster that's not a loud power sucking out of support enterprise SAN? Something DIY? I would like to be able to complete OS upgrades without having to shutdown the VM's.
  4. G

I'm confused, why would you build a ZFS shared storage and a vSAN cluster? What kind of problems did you have with 3 node vSAN? I don't need insane IOPS just the ability to run upgrades without knocking stuff offline. Anything I can look ito for HA ZFS? The few things I saw on a quick search...
  5. G

@Aestr the problem I’m having with a non vSAN setup is redundant shared storage. If I have a share from FreeNAS or a Synology and need to update either I either have to migrate the VMs to different storage or shut them down to do a DSM or FreeNAS upgrade. Unless there is a way to work around...
  6. G

@llowrey I saw numerous reviews and posts saying that after a couple weeks the IPMI dies out and requires a full power cycle to start functioning again? Have you experienced that? @Evan I initially thought about a Xeon-D but I don’t recall any that had more then one expansion slot or if they...
  7. G

@acquacow How is the power usage on those X9's? Even being a low power Xeon it's still only two years newer than my L5640's I don't suspect the idle efficiency would be much better then what I currently have if I had three of those running? The dual L5640's should have a combined PassMark in the...
  8. G

Hello, I’ve been running my home lab as it stands for a couple of years now. The hardware is starting to get dated and I would really like to reduce my power usage and also increase some redundancy. Currently I have an R210 II with a Xeon e3-1220, a single cheap SSD and 8GB of RAM running...