Search results

1. H

PSA: If ICY Dock asks you to load firmware for your Broadcom NVMe adapters ... be very afraid!

Purchased a P411W-32P NVMe switch for use with ESXi, this is a rather expensive PCIe Gen4 x16 HBA that contains a PCIe switch and can connect up to eight x4 NVMe SSDs, via 4 * SFF-8654 connectors Since I could not use the P411W with a HPE 826689-B21 NVMe cage, I decided to go in for two...
  2. H

HDD/ODD rails for Rosewill L4000

Looking for HDD /ODD rails for the 5.25“ bay for the Rosewill chassis they allow optical drives and 5.25’ sized cages to slide into the 5.25” bays on a Rosewill without screws. I’ve tried emailing Rosewill and scouring eBay but no luck. Anyone have these or know where to find them?
  3. H

Experience with C-Payne adapters

I am trying to add SlimSAS 8i capabilities to my Tyan S8030 mainboard. They would connect to a HP 826689-B21 drive cage, this has four SlimSAS 8i slots, and the Tyan already has 2 SlimSAS 8i headers. Since the Tyan and EPYC support x4/x4/x4/x4 bifurcation, it would seem the easiest way is to add...
  4. H

PCIe slot bifurcation on AsrockRack E3C256D4U-2L2T

Does anyone have a E3C256D4U-2L2T ? Can they check if it shows support for PCIe slot bifurcation on any of the PCIe slots ? I'm trying to figure out a good motherboard for the Supermicro 116AC10-R860CB-N10 chassis - this has NVMe + SATA capability but it is really hard to find LGA1200...
  5. H

[UPDATED]: Thermal paste for Xeon Skylake CPUs

Upgrading from Xeon Silver 4114s to Xeon Gold 6138's. The Gold's do run hotter than the Silvers - usually I would use Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2 as the thermal paste since it's a LOT more affordable when swapping out 8-10 large processors. But decided to ask around in the forums if anyone has had...
  6. H

Installing NIC drivers for i225-V and other unsupported adapters on Windows Server Core

I'm in the process of replacing my Ubiquiti core switch with a Brocade L3 and setting it up with OPNsense. Since OPNsense doesn't function properly with DHCP & VLANs/subnets - I will need to have a Windows server running DNS/DHCP on the network. I decided to go down the Server Core path because...
  7. H

Why are Coffee Lake Xeon CPUs so expensive?

Trying to get hold of a E-2288G or E-2278G. But eBay prices are ludicrous. It’s 2023 and they’re still expensive. Even the older E-2126 Xeons sell for almost MSRP. Is there a reason that there’s such low inventory for refurb or second hand? I like these specific CPUs because they’re actually...
  8. H

Tripplite/Eaton WebcardLX for $75

EDIT: since folks have asked - the seller is selling as 'for parts/not working' since they do not have the means to test the cards and are selling as-is. I did get two of these and they worked just fine, they came with PADM 15.5.3.1031 and I was able to update them to PADM 20.1.0.87. YMMV If...
  9. H

Updating Lenovo 00MM861 X550-T2 NICs

I have some Lenovo NICs that I cannot seem to run nvmupdate on The EEPID is 0x80000760 esxcli network nic get -n vmnic5 Advertised Auto Negotiation: true Advertised Link Modes: Auto, 100BaseT/Full, 1000BaseT/Full, 10000BaseT/Full Auto Negotiation: true Cable Type: Twisted Pair...
  10. H

10/25 Gb NIC Options for LOM riser on the Dell R440

Been trying to find out which LOM riser NIC I can use for my Dell R440 servers. Called Dell and they insisted I sign up with Dell Small Business :) Navigating Dell's manual maze is ... interesting. Here's the relevant link I could find on the LOM riser: Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Installation and...
  11. H

OPNSense + Unifi Switch + Brocade ICX6610: VLANs & routing

I am trying to get my homelab networked to my home network. I had to use a Ubiquiti XG-24 because the electricity bill of my Brocade + the noise was quite significant. However, not only is the Ubiquiti crap when it comes to VLANs but I am having difficulty getting it to play nice with the...
  12. H

(US) Ebay: 400GB SAS HUSMR3240ASS204 HGST 2.5" Server HDD SSD

400GB SAS HUSMR3240ASS204 HGST 2.5" Server HDD SSD 12Gbps SS300 MLC | eBay - I offered the seller $32 and he countered with $36, which I accepted. The drives all had 6 ~ 7 TBW, which is nothing for this SSD, it has a TBW rating of ~ 1900TBW. Right now they're sitting as vSAN cache disks for my...
  13. H

2U chassis with hotswap SATA/NVMe for H12SSL

Looking for a *reasonably* priced 2U chassis for my H12 SSL. Anything with hotswap SATA & NVMe. Ideally looking for 8 x SAS/SATA and 4x NVME. So far I've found the LA26AC12-R920LP1 for $900 so anything below that would be great. Anything with half and full size expansions slots would be...
  14. H

Thoughts on Ubiquiti Enterprise XG 24 switch?

The time has come to replace my trusty but tired ICX6610 - I am putting in a Netgear MS510 TXUP for the POE & 802.3bt ports and was looking at multi-gig switches for the normal 1/10G ports There was a time when I was looking at switches with RoCE etc - but I don't think I will go down that...
  15. H

H12SSL-NT quirks - toasty LAN SoC + no Redfish access

I recently got a H12SSL-NT with the dual 10GbE LAN provided by Broadcom BCM57416. What I've noticed is that even when the motherboard power is OFF, the LAN heatsink is a toasty 65C ~ 68C. The motherboard is now in an Antec P10 Flux case and with a couple of fans, the temps go down to 54C but...
  16. H

How's the Netgear XS724EM ?

Looking to replace my ICX6610 with a multi-gig switch. I have a mix of 10GbE, 10G SFP and 2.5G connections - and also the need for PoE. Since "cheap" Multi-Gig switches are so tough to find - was looking at XS724EM from Netgear Does anyone have any experience with these? It's a L2 switch and no...
  17. H

Confused about Micron 5100 performance with LSI2308 & ESXi passthru

Got 4 x HPE branded Micron 5100 Eco SSDs and 4 x standard Micron 5100 Eco's - all 7.68 TB. I have been testing these and get different results on the LSI2308 vs on a normal Intel SATA port. I've been struggling to find benchmarks for the 5100 Eco's to compare against. What I've found is that...
  18. H

Prime Day - 4TB SSD SATA 2.5" WD Blue (TLC 3D NAND) for $370

As the title says - WD's 3D NAND (TLC and not QLC) 4TB SSD. Sure it's SATA but it's going to be better than the Samsung 4TB QLC SSDs It's a prime day deal so probably will be around for ~ 24 hours https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-4TB-Internal-SSD/dp/B07QV3XGCP/
  19. H

Smallest motherboard with 5x SATA for a 5* 2.5" NAS build

What is the smallest motherboard with 5x SATA headers and a PCIe slot? I'm looking for a processor/motherboard combo for a compact NAS build - I now have 5 x 2.5", 8TB SSDs for a compact NAS with either Windows Server/DrivePool or Linux/Btrfs I looked at the Helios64 project (Kobol - Helios64...
  20. H

5100 Micron with HPE firmware - can I reflash with stock Micron?

I have a 5100 Micron 7.68TB that's a HPE drive - p/n VK007680GWHTD. The firmware on it is HPG0. Is there any benefit to flashing it to stock Micron firmware - if in fact that is even possible? The date of mfr is 2017, but it looks like the drive has not been used at all