Search results

1. I

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Yes in this case you can do it ;) I think that you can, but the most expert is by far @fohdeesha .
  2. I

As a general advice, avoid stacking unless more ports are needed in the same IDF. Definitely I wouldn't span stacked switches across multiple floors or buildings. Let L3 do it's job, the smaller your L2 domains are, the better.
  3. I

Nope, just pull the power. All the software runs in a ramdisk/read only flash, so it's expected to be hard-powered off, no worries.
  4. I

As if they were the only ones doing that... I've yet to see a vendor fully releasing its source code in compliance with the GPL license...
  5. I

You are missing a default route on the switch. It doesn't know where it has to forward traffic to that doesn't belong to its L2 segment. ;)
  6. I

Why not keeping both? :p 7000-series should be better particularly on the software side, and pretty much mandatory if you want to be seriously in business with IPv6 (IIRC, no SLAAC on the 6450 and 6610... or some other things IPv6-related).
  7. I

500MB/day, actually.
  8. I

The easiest way that I can think of is to use a linux box running Avahi with an interface on every VLAN where you want to listen and repeat the mDNS queries to. Be careful with the firewall rules on this machine, or it can be used to "jump" between networks.
  9. I

Yes. Define VEs on the VLANs that you want to be routed inside the switch, and let the others be defined as pure layer2, w/out any IP addresses.
  10. I

Whaaaaat??? Have you found some other toys to play with? :p
  11. I

I've used two Sunon MagLev KDE1204PKVX with two small capacitors between +12V and GND to smooth out the PWM noise... it's not silent by any means but it's bearable when you sit beside it and basically silent when closed inside a rack.
  12. I

@dontwanna The serial cable is... well, serial :) You'd have to connect it to a serial port of you computer, not on the network (that's the management interface, a NIC essentially bound to the switch CPU); if you have a modern computer that doesn't have a serial port you can use a USB-DB9...
  13. I

Have you plugged in the fiber? Otherwise, it might be normal that the interface is kept down. EDIT: it might need some quirks: hwti/G-010S-A
  14. I

Can you specify the ONT model number? The ones I've seen are basically an OpenWRT-stick packaged inside a SFP module, so as long as it's plugged in it has an interface up; the management interface runs on the native VLAN and the broadband connection is available on one (or more) tagged VLAN...
  15. I

No BGP on the 6450.
  16. I

Yep, use a spare VLAN without a router interface defined on it, use it as the native/untagged VLAN (if your ethernet handoff doesn't require a tagged VLAN, I don't know the details of the FiOS offer) on a port connected to the ISP and as a tagged VLAN on the router-on-a-stick ;)
  17. I

That's strange, unless your meter is measuring the apparent power... at low load I've seen that the PSU has a slightly poor power factor; mine draws around 30-35W of real power (ie. the one that the power company bills the user for, at least for domestic usage here in Italy) at idle w/o anything...
  18. I

Remove "route-only" from your configuration. http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.50/fastiron-08050-commandref/GUID-D1A2B680-D9F4-4672-8C1B-072290462513.html
  19. I

Because its configuration GUI won't let you configure DHCP scopes outside the networks that the firewall manages. Technically the daemons underneath can do it, but there's no way to configure them accordingly; it's pretty easy however to install a small linux box with a DHCP server and...
  20. I

Stack 'em using two other ports. If memory serves me, you'll have to use two (or more) ports at the front, you can't use two of the 40G breakout.