Search results

1. D

Sc846 vertical rack mount

Well I have rails. Is it better to attach the case in the rack with those when It’s vertical?
  2. D

Sc846 vertical rack mount

I bought a vertical rack mount for my supermicro sc846 Product Gallery Category Layout I’m trying to find what’s the best way to attach it. Would the ears of the case hold the weight? If not, would the rails be an acceptable alternative?
  3. D

Intel Xeon W-1300 and W580 motherboards

So according to your experiance the Micron sticks seem more reliable than the Kingstons? I can get a cheaper deal on them so to me that’s actually a good thing. Also, I think I’ve had a couple of boot loops/crashes during POST on my current setup as well (under the two years I’ve had it) so that...
  4. D

Are you combining the two ram brands/modells? Kind of grasping at straws, really want this to work. But I think you wrote something about it sometimes crashing with only the Kingston ram as well? Have you tried them with memtest? Sounds risky to have for exemple a zfs share under those...
  5. D

Thanks for this. I am planning to buy the X12sca-5f and I was going to pair it with a couple of kingston 32gb KSM32ED8/32ME ram modules since the KSM24ES8/8ME worked so well with my x11ssh-f, but reading your notes I’m a bit at a loss what to do. Did you happen to find anything that worked...
  6. D

X12sca-5f insights needed

I’m planning to buy a supermicro x12sca-5f and pair it with a w-1370, replacing my existing x11ssh-f setup in my sc846 chassi. Has anyone got any experiance with this card that would like to share some possible insights and gotchas with me? I’m going to use it as a proxmox server with lxcs and...
  7. D

Asrock IPMI iOS question

I’m thinking of maybe switching my supermicro x11ssh-f motherboard to an ASRock EP2C612 WS. I’m really fond of the IPMI on supermicro so I’m wondering if anyone has any experiance with asrocks? I can’t seem to find any info on if they have a working iOS app. And also, I’ve got a supermicro sc846...
  8. D

LSI 9340-8i and BPN-SAS2-EL1, compatibility issues to consider?

I’m going to upgrade my 9211-8i HBA to something with pcie 3.0. I’ve found a deal on an LSI Megaraid 9340-8i 12Gb/s card that’s actually cheaper than the 6Gb/s alternative I’m currently looking at. Now, I’ve got a Supermicro sc846 chassis with a BPN-SAS2-EL1 backplane and I’ve read some old...
  9. D

Rack server chassis advice

sc846 would be the dream but my budget won't allow it at the moment. I'm more looking for something like the Rosewill 4U RSV-L4500U https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B0091IZ1ZG but it's a hassle to get hold of them in Sweden. So maybe someone knows of...
  10. D

Rack server chassis advice

I'm looking for a cheap 4U server chassis with space for 16-24 internal 3.5 hdds. I don't need hot swap or anything fancy like that, just space for my current 14 drives, some future proofed expandability, and my graphics card (hence 4u). Does anyone know of any good alternatives? I'ld also like...
  11. D

Advice swapping x11ssh-f to x11ssm-f

Sorry to say that my plans to swap cards fell through, the x11ssm-f turned out to be broken. But I had already ordered the aoc-slg3-2m2 card and an ssd so I thought maybe you could help me even though I'm on my x11ssh-f. Thing is that I can't see the ssd and I don't see any option to turn on...
  12. D

Thanks for the input, that sounds great! Good to see someone else with a similar setup got it to work, makes me a lot more confident that this is the way to go.
  13. D

Thanks, that explains where those two lanes went missing. I’ve read some threads over at the truenas forum about these cards where I think I saw your name come up, by the way. X11SSM-F + AOC-SLG3-2M2 + Optane Anyway, the x11ssm-f is on the compatibility list AOC-SLG3-2M2 | Add-on Cards |...
  14. D

Hi! I've got a server with a Supermicro x11ssh-f today and now I've gotten hold of a very cheap server with an x11ssm-f. My thinking is to strip it for parts and sell off the rest. I'm considering to swap my current x11ssh-f to the other card and I would appreciate if anyone's got any thoughts...
  15. D

HBA pcie 2.0 x8 card on pcie 3.0 x4 (electrical)

Thanks for your input, Mithril, your knowledge is highly appceciated. I've got a Supermicro x11ssh-f motherboard, xeon e3 1240v6 cpu and currently 32 gb ecc ram. Looking at the block diagram it seems as though that pcie slot would be connected to the pch. I've also got an ssd nvme on the board...
  16. D

HBA pcie 2.0 x8 card on pcie 3.0 x4 (electrical)

I've filled up my motherboards 8 sata slots and now I'm looking for an HBA to get 8 more. Alas, I've only got a pcie 3.0 x8 physical with x4 electrical. I'm planning to expand my zfs pool and now I'm wondering if there are any serious bottlenecks having only 4 lanes would entail. It seems as...
  17. D

x11ssh-f and gtx 1660 graphics cards compatible?

Well I'm not that well-versed in computer specs so if I read "1 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16)" and the card is x16 it makes me a bit worried. But if all it effects is the speed then that's nice to hear. Thanks for the info.
  18. D

x11ssh-f and gtx 1660 graphics cards compatible?

Is the supermicro x11ssh-f motherboard compatible with geforce gtx 1660 cards? I can’t seeem to find any info on this.
  19. D

quick sync with c232 and c242

Thanks! I just read that even some c246 boards, like the supermicro X11scm-f, don't support igpu. So a bit confused as to what board to chose.