Search results

1. M

Pfsense VM

I've made the move to Freenas 11, and now looking at virtualizing pfsense on it, so as to free up an extra box. Eventually I'll also virtualize my personal webserver over too, so that everything's working on server grade hardware and it doesn't have to run over a gbit LAN internally. 1. Would...
  2. M

Patch panels

Scoping out a hinged wall mount cabinet set-up for a church, as its current network equipment is hanging from a wall in a public room *sigh*. A potential NVR system makes this unsatisfactory situation even less satisfactory. I'll probably pair the server cabinet with a SMC type cabinet acting...
  3. M

pricey server chassis

I wonder what makes this case the most expensive item I've seen on newegg? (I'm thinking 'an error'). Less than $20 shipping, I hope that includes insurance...
  4. M

Weird network traffic

So I have a really weird situation going on with my network. Every now and then (but for a sustained period) I get a constant 180kB/s being sent from my linux desktop's LAN connection with a corresponding 180kB/s travelling across my 5GHz wifi network and 100kB/s travelling over my 2.4GHz wifi...
  5. M

Overestimated time & effort?

So I finally got around to setting up OpenVPN on my Asus router. I had been meaning to do it for ages, but I thought it was going to be way more work than it was, so just hadn't got it done. I finally got around to setting it up and installed the client on my laptop and I couldn't believe...
  6. M

Live Streaming w/ CCTV Sanity Check

Love for any experts to weigh in on the feasibility of the project I'm scoping out..: We're looking at adding low cost streaming of our church services. The initial goal will be to run feeds to TV screens in our function hall etc. The goal after that will be to provide remote live streaming...
  7. M

Abnormally low SOAF

I like WAF, but in the interests of being politically correct I've gone with Significant Other Acceptance Factor... Or I'm practising click-baiting?! I say SOAF because there must be boyfriends/girlfriends/wives etc out there who face the same acceptance factor as I do from less...
  8. M

Setting up festival Wifi

I'm on a festival committee, which holds an annual 3 day food festival in Massachusetts each year. One problem we have is that we're in a relatively poorly served cell area. We want our attendees to be able to use social media while they're at the venue, in part because it helps advertise the...
  9. M

VMWare server alternative?

I'm renovating an old (non-commercial/charity) website with the intention of virtualizing it in a Linux VM so that it can be run off a Windows workstation that is running 24/7. The primary reason to move it from the currently (Yahoo) hosted service is that I want greater flexibility to roll out...
  10. M

Backblaze HDD raw data

Stumbled across Backblaze's latest blog (a regular topic here), where they have announced the availability of their raw HDD reliability data. Reliability Data Set For 41,000 Hard Drives Now Open Source I haven't yet had a chance to dial into it, but as a fan of more data the better, I'm...
  11. M

Server depth

I'm scoping out a short-depth rackmount chassis for a 4-8 drive, 2-3U LGA1155 NAS build, but one question I haven't been able to find an answer on is whether the chassis depth includes the front face/handles, or whether it just measures the 'box' depth? I'm planning on mounting the unit into...
  12. M

Identifying which HDD to pull out

Background: I've got a windows 7 PC that contains 3x1TB drives all of the same model and I want to pull one of them as I'm downsizing that computer. I don't want to be offline for too long; I'm swapping out the PSU (also downsizing) so I'm going to take the opportunity to pull the drive. I've...
  13. M

F@H BigAdv ending - will more 2p & 4p machines to come to market?

I know that multiprocessor F@H rigs are probably only a drop in the bucket compared with all the Data center part outs following upgrades, but I'm curious as to whether this might lead to more high performance rigs coming out. Most of the BigAdv rigs are either dual socket Intels, or quad...