Search results

1. BeTeP

ZFS with Broadcom/LSI 3108 in JBOD mode

In my own servers. Before yesteryear's influx of dirt cheap Inspur branded adapters I was routinely buying used 3108 controllers at half price of 3008 ones and flashing them to IT mode.
  2. BeTeP

ZFS with Broadcom/LSI 3108 in JBOD mode

SAS3108 is no more "hardware raid" than SAS3008. As in it uses the same general compute cores for all its processing needs. And yes, it absolutely can run the same firmware as 3008.
  3. BeTeP

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Remove the interposer from the tray and post pictures of both sides. Also check all other interposers you have to see if you have any that look different (diff PCB layout).
  4. BeTeP

Help to setup opnsense for ATT static IP block

for .64/29 routed block .71 is the broadcast address. Pick another address for the local gateway
  5. BeTeP

DIYable 8-16 slot 3.5" passive backplane w/ cage (into a 4u case)?

HP DL380eG8 12-Bay LFF Drive Cage Assy New 668307-001 684886-001 | eBay (no expander, my own preference) 2x LOT OF 6 651314-001 652320-001 HP SMART CARRIER TRAY FOR GEN8 LFF SAS SATA HDD | eBay
  6. BeTeP

Looking for Business computer replacement

You do you. All I was saying that for a long time there has been another way of connecting multiple monitors to a system which does not require matching number of video outputs.
  7. BeTeP

KTN-STL3 - drives, interposers, oh my?

have you read https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/emc-ktn-stl3-15-bay-chassis.23244
  8. BeTeP

Looking for Business computer replacement

To support multiple monitors on almost any system - get a monitor with MST and daisy-chain the rest.
  9. BeTeP

I want to build my own home lab, but i'm totally blind. Problem, I cannot modify any BIOS settings.

All major business PC vendors provide some version of "Client Management Tools" - a way to edit BIOS settings from within an operating system. For example https://developers.hp.com/hp-client-management/doc/Bios-and-Device...
  10. BeTeP

Guide for using Niagara 4.3 to set 12g speed in firmware limited HGST sas3 drives

This script does not change NLLR (negotiated logical link rate) directly. It changes PMALR (programmed maximum link rate) instead which affects the NLLR on the next enumeration. Also there is no need to change the values bit by bit. Just set the whole field with a single command: sdparm -t sas...
  11. BeTeP

Xyratex SBB enclosures and compatible controllers

use the links in the middle of the document. not the "attachments" at the bottom almost no attachments survived the cray>hpe migration
  12. BeTeP

HGST MUSMM616ASS200 -- Latest Firmware for HGST and HP Versions?

no need for a bundle https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-generic/p597606851/v141633/HP_MO1600JEFPC_HPD3.fla
  13. BeTeP

Advice request

$55 shipped is not that expesive. Also you listed the HBA models - that's what most people want anyway. But the OP wanted a RAID. A 9361-16i still sells for like $150 - no idea who buys these. The problem is that a proper LSI RAID controller does not run that much cooler.
  14. BeTeP

Best way to convert SlimSAS LOW PROFILE to U.2 / SFF 8639

By inexpensive redriver I meant something like used Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E4R for ~$60.
  15. BeTeP

Save UEFI ROM from ConnectX3, 3Pro?

Well, the "procedure" is nothing but replacing the text config section of the image. If the functionality you want is controlled by the config and you know which values to edit to enable it - the procedure would certainly "work". But personally I'd first try adding UEFI to the retail image...
  16. BeTeP

Mellanox Connectx-3 pro 40gbe vs connectx-4 LX 25 gbe

Read the page you linked replacing "56GbE License" with "40GbE to 56GbE speed upgrade License". The speed upgrade license is applicable (and free) for all switches already licensed for ethernet (i.e. ethernet only or VPI with gateway license already enabled).
  17. BeTeP

Obviously you don't have the actual hardware. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. But for someone without the switch you are relatively well-read on the subject. Although there are a few things you misunderstood and/or made up yourself:
  18. BeTeP

It does not mean what you seem to believe it means.
  19. BeTeP

Best way to convert SlimSAS LOW PROFILE to U.2 / SFF 8639

It might be cheaper to forego the motherboard LP ports altogether and get an inexpensive redriver card with more common connectors instead. Unless you have other plans for all the PCIe slots of course. Also one would think that a "Layer 1 Magician" should be able to just conjure any cable they...