Search results

1. B

"Memory Drive" no longer possible?

Hi folks. I noticed that the Memory Drive software for Optane ssds in no longer downloadable from the Intel's site. Has it been dropped, or it's just that I'm unable to find it?? Thanks.
  2. B

Understanding IOPS vs. Latency (in Random read/write)

I was wondering if you could help me understanding the importance of IOPS vs. Latency in SSDs. Allow me to give a bit of context. I'm trying to decide between Firecuda 530 and Samsung PM9A3 for an AI-gpu workstation. These are very different beasts, the latter being an enterprise drive, but...
  3. B

EU Gigabyte RTX 3090 TURBO 24Gb - with accessories

Hi Folks. I sell the video card in subject. Very slightly used, no scratches, dents, or defects whatsoever. Honestly, it had spent almost one year sitting in my workstation and doing nothing, for I have access to a DGX station owned by my employer. Additionally, I can include a sealed...
  4. B

3060 12gb

Hi. I was wondering how does the 3060 12 gb perform in DL tasks. The card is tricked so that is limits itself upon detection of mining tasks, but it's unclear whether the same stands for NNs training/inference. Any information about that would be very welcome. Thanks.
  5. B

EU Xeon Haswell Workstation (for sale)

Selling a workstation configured as follows: - Xeon e5-2660v3 (10C/20T) - Motherboard Asrock Rack EPC612D8 - Supermicro 4U Tower Cooler - 48gb ECC registered ram in triple channel (3x Samsung m393a2k40bb1) - Case SilentiumPC Regnum (see image) - BeQuiet System Power 550W Psu. - No hdd/ssd or...
  6. B

About the Samsung PM1735

I've got my PM1735. TL;DR: I don't think it's a matter of drivers or support. Here is a quick benchmark (vs. 970 pro, Linux. The PM1735 is plugged into a pcie 3.0 x8 slot, NOT 4.0): https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3s7x5z07n9sdtj/Screenshot_20210113_233604.png?dl=0 Kdiskmark is just a GUI for FIO...
  7. B

EU [for sale]: Three RTX 2060 Super (8Gb), blower type.

EDIT: The cards have been sold. I sell three RTX 2060 Super (8Gb), blower type. See: MANLI GeForce RTX 2060 Super (M1424+N522-01) With original box, slot cover, antistatic bag. Used for deep learning inside a HEPA-filtered case (e.g. no dust). Perfect condition, both aesthetical and...
  8. B

Samsung PM1733

Hi Folks. I can get the PM1733 for a decent price, so I'd like to have your opinion about it, since I didn't manage to find one single review about it. Why do I think it's interesting: 1. I got a ROMED8-2T, supporting gen4 drives. 2. I have 4 GPUs and don't want any M.2 drive to be roasted...
  9. B

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Hi folks. Would you suggest a good UPS? Power requirement: 1000W minimum Critical requirement: silence. No buzzes or whining. Online is not strictly required. Line interactive will do.
  10. B

Nvidia for compute, Aspeed to drive the monitor.

Hi folks. I have a supermicro board with IPMI, including an Aspeed AST2500 video card. Now I was wondering if I can use it to drive the monitor, leaving the Nvidia card(s) just for compute. Does anyone of you attempted this? Should one use the Nvidia headless drivers? Thanks.
  11. B

Supermicro X11 for lga3647: ACPI capabilities

Hi folks. I was wondering if Supermicro 11th gen boards for Xeon scalable were capable of doing sleep or hibernation (that is, ACPI S3 & S4). The manuals don't even mention that. Would those of you running such boards (x11SPM, -SPI, -SPL) kindly check? Thanks!
  12. B

From E5-v4 to Xeon W. A worthy upgrade?

Hi folks. I currently have an Asrock EPC612D8 and an E5-2680v4 that I use with 4 GPUs (deep learning workstation). Now, a colleague of mine has offered 500eur for the bundle cpu+mobo. One upgrade option I'm thinking about is a Gigabyte MW51-HP0 to be bought new for 410 eur, with a W-2150B...
  13. B

ROMED8-2T

No matter the bad experience I had with the EPYCD8, I'm considering this board, mainly because I really loved the 7282 processor. ROMED8 seems to be better executed than its previous sibling, at least on paper. It will be intended for workstation use. Thus, allow me one question for those who...
  14. B

Understanding CPU Benchmarks

I'm trying to understand how to interpret benchmark results. Look at this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-W-2145-vs-AMD-EPYC-7262/3156vs3636 We have two 8-core processors compared. The overall (multithreaded) score in hugely in favour of the Epyc Rome, as we should expect...
  15. B

Workstation: 5120T vs. W-2140B, and mobos.

I'm building a (cheap) deep learning / data analysis workstation. Staying within my budget limits, I've found the option I mentioned in the thread headline. I can buy them for the same price, more or less. They are from the same generation (Skylake), and I expect them to draw the same amount of...
  16. B

Supermicro X11spa (some general questions)

Hi. As narrated in other threads, I'm having a bad experience with the Epyc Rome platform. Most likely it is because I got a faulty motherboard, but since I have the chance of returning my Epyc Rome, to avoid further hassle I'm considering to switch to a Xeon scalable platform, since I found a...
  17. B

EPYCD8-2T Serious issues

Hi mates. I think that my EPYCD8-2T failed on me (at the worst moment, of course). My plight started 2 days ago, when I added the fourth GPU. The board did not boot properly (no screen output), and after the usual 30/40 secs, the power draw skyrocketed at almost 300W. No ssh server running, so...
  18. B

EPYCD8-2T: two questions about Linux and IPMI

Hi, I just built a system with a 7282 and an Asrock Rack EPYCD8-2T. It seems to be rock solid with Lubuntu 18.04 but here are a couple of question I really hope you could answer since I'm driven crazy with them. 1. OS-independent: I just cannot manage to have the IPMI working over the...
  19. B

Renewing my DL hardware.

Hi fellas. I'm in the process of renewing my deep learning hardware, and particularly the GPUs. My host machine has 40 x16 lanes and 3 slots in 16x/16x/8x, so I think I will leave it untouched. Presently, I work with two 1080TIs. Now, to achieve a good price/perf ratio when it comes to buy...