Search results

1. BoredSysadmin

iKoolcore R1 N5105/N6005 4x i226-V in very and cool tiny box

Seem like a cool and neat router or more device:ESXi on palm size iKOOLCORE R1 I wonder for loud the fan is? William doesn't mention it. Preorders start at $199 with N5105, 8gb (soldered) ram and no storage (accepts NVMe m2. 2242 slot). Max config with N6005, 16gb, and 512gb SSD priced at $359
  2. BoredSysadmin

ElI5 - Why would CXL "replace" Optane/3D-Xpoint?

I see this in a few places (mostly Chris Evan's excellent blog), and I assume neither Micron nor Intel engineers/managers are idiots to discontinue the tech, but why would CXL "replace" Optane? CXL is an extension to PCIe architecture which allows even early on add more memory, including adding...
  3. BoredSysadmin

Nutanix rumored to be for sale

https://blocksandfiles.com/2022/10/14/nutanix-for-sale-rumors/ Though I disagree with Chris on Cisco, they have had a minor and challenging hyper-converged product line with Hyperflex. They purchased Springpath to deliver the tech, but it has proven too immature for Cisco. They could be possible...
  4. BoredSysadmin

VDI ESXi host CPUs Xeon Gold 6130 vs Gold 5115 (both dual)

Which one would be best for the VDI VMs ESXi host? 5115 has a higher base frequency at 2.4 GHz 2x 10C, but 6130 is lower at 2.1 GHz, but 2x 16C Not asking for alternatives, I have both and need to decide which one of these two (only) should I keep? Assume I care more for individual VDI...
  5. BoredSysadmin

Dell laptop tech support experience or Dell Business Warranty Service is Now a Clown Car

Thought this sad story may be helpful to someone looking to invest in Dell hardware. https://www.extremetech.com/computing/336325-dell-business-service-is-now-a-clown-car
  6. BoredSysadmin

Looking for a second opinion

Current situation: Storage: DIY Whitebox Freenas with 6x 2TB internal drives and x12 2TB in External SAS DAS - used only for media storage. Compute - 3x old HP workstations (i7-2600/32gb/10gig/4x cheap 250gb SSDs) running vSAN. Problems: a) Drives are ancient, especially WD RE4 Blacks in the DAS...
  7. BoredSysadmin

Nvidia/Youtube HDR Rant

Last year I shell out for a nice pair of 2k 27monitors that support HDR, a bit before that GTX 1070ti - at $450 I wasn't cheap, but at current insane prices doesn't seem all that expensive. Short story, I figured I have a bit of time to play with Windows HDR mode, got it set up nice and pretty...
  8. BoredSysadmin

Qnap TVS-872N Question

I've posted this question on QNAP community, but so far no answers whatsoever. Maybe some current QNAP NAS owners could chime in : TVS-872N runs on i3-8100T (coffee lake) which supports quicksync. I plan to run Plex server with hardware encoding enabled using it. I am also looking to move my...
  9. BoredSysadmin

zfs ashift question

So my Freenas has two pools. One with 6 drives(2 x z1 vdevs with 3 drives each) (512e/4k physical) and one with 12x WD 2TB RE4 drives which are 512 physical. (all of 12 drives in a single z2 vdev - not ideal, but the idea was to maximize capacity) [smartctl -a /dev/adaX] Due to lack of...
  10. BoredSysadmin

Time to replace my DIY Freenas

Last Friday it gave me a heart attack then my old DIY Freenas box(based on Gigabyte board and I3-3220T) refused to complete the boot, was stuck at AMI logo. Turns out bad USB device/port. since fixed. I have Poweredge R200 II around which I could use, but: a) it currently has only 8GB ram and...
  11. BoredSysadmin

Apple's M1 CPU single core performance (nearly?) beating Zen3 :-O

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-silicon-m1-a14-deep-dive/4 Mind blown
  12. BoredSysadmin

RDMA(RoCE v2) with Nutanix 7-8 nodes Cluster

Hello, I am seeking advice or consensus if we should try to engineer our Nutanix cluster with RDMA. It stands now the nodes are fairly beefy: Each node is 2x 6226R and 1.5TB ram each,12x3.84TB SAS12 SSDs (no NVME drives). The load is a mixed server load, various biz apps, SQL databases, some...
  13. BoredSysadmin

Plex Pass Lifetime May the Fourth 24h Sale [Normally $120]

Sauce: A Reminder: The other way of getting the same at $79.99 is subscribing to Plex newsletter and waiting (could be months) Some of Plex Pass benefits include LiveTV DVR, offline viewing, no cost of Plex clients, and Hardware support for transcoding videos (Intel QuickSync and Nvidia NVENC)
  14. BoredSysadmin

Decent deal on used 1500VA UPS [2nd Batch]

I have APC SUA750 at home which is running out of juice to power all of my homelab (had to bypass few things for now). Was looking for a replacement to be good, cheap and with more power. After a search I found these guys: Used / Tested HP1500 G4 Hewlett Packard UPS 1500VA UPS | eBay These are...
  15. BoredSysadmin

VMWare NSX - I've some basic design questions

We use Cisco OTV to stretch layer2 from NY to NJ datacenters. Possibly looking to replace OTV with NSX/VxLAN. So VxLAN is the main desired feature at the moment. a) I assume NSX Standard edition should be sufficient? b) we have a dedicated ESXi cluster for Dev/Test/UAT machines that don't...
  16. BoredSysadmin

Desktop PC won't boot with HP NC552SFP/Emulex OCE11102 dual 10gbe nic

The desktop is HP 8200 Elite tower with latest bios/firmware. NICS pulled from working servers. I've tried a couple in HP's PCIe x16 slot as well as another physical x16, electric x4. In both cases, I get a blank screen and all fans spin up to the max speed in 20-30seconds after power on. Same...
  17. BoredSysadmin

Looking for Optimum online modem replacement suggestions

Starting in 2019, unfortunately, Optimum/Altice joined the shady practice of charging modem fees for ALL customers. I've bought the MOTOROLA 24x8 Cable Modem, Model MB7621, but it's been complete shite. The issue is my cable service has a decent amount of T3 Timeouts, but where's company...
  18. BoredSysadmin

Need help to decide on budget storage expansion

Hello. My current home NAS situation consists of a single sata 6x 2TB drives freenas box using onboard SATA controller. it has unused pci-e 16 (full speed) slot. the board is gigabyte H77 so it's pci-e gen3. there are few other pci-e slots, x1 is used for nic. Now I've recently got my hands on...