Search results

1. T

PCIe bifurcated 4x4 u.2 cards?

Thanks for the replies :) That's interesting, do these work without a SuperMicro board? I'm running several ASRock ROMED8-2T boards. With the retimer on board maybe I can get away with cables on pcie 4, idk, if so that could work with an icy dock setup when I change cases. Thanks for the...
  2. T

PCIe bifurcated 4x4 u.2 cards?

So I've got an EPYC system with plenty of slots and lanes... I set up one of those ASUS nvme x16 cards and that's cool, but I figure why not u.2 enterprise instead. Does anyone have any suggestions for x16 bifurcated (x4x4x4x4) cards? Would love if it would support PCIe 4, but I can live with 3...
  3. T

(back instock) - 480g hgst SSD (sas3) - 60-75$ offer accepted!

The datasheet above claims the drives can be 512, 520, 528, or 4k sector size. Likely a firmware setting. Mine won't be here until Monday so I can't check actual drives.
  4. T

(back instock) - 480g hgst SSD (sas3) - 60-75$ offer accepted!

Thanks for this one, picked up 12 x $60, offered 55 but was countered.
  5. T

Looking for suggestions on nvme/SAS/SATA rackmount chassis

In the end I just decided to keep what I've got. Replaced the backplane with the SAS3 expander model and used a known working controller. Looks like I had both a controller issue and the backplane was toast. I did find this neat 2U SM chassis SC216BE1C4-R1K23LPB | 2U | Chassis | Products |...
  6. T

That's kind of what I was seeing on the SM front as well. Really I'm open to whatever manufacturer, but I'm sure this is another niche case. In the meantime I'll look into a SAS3 expander backplane or some sort of fix for the 846. I'm pretty much running SSDs, but there are some 3.5" drives in...
  7. T

I currently have an SC846 from the X8 days w/ a TQ backplane. Hasn't really given me troubles w/ the m1015 and no real speed issues. Recently I upgraded boards to an asrock epycd8-2t and swapped out the m1015s with a few sas3008 LSI 9300s. As expected I'm seeing a lot higher throughput, but also...
  8. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Updated with sold, dropped price on Xeon-D
  9. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Added more stuff
  10. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Modified listing and added new stuff. More to come as I dig it out.
  11. T

MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM Mini Review Cheap 24x 1GbE 2x 10GbE

Second this, have been running one for the past couple weeks and it's solid.
  12. T

WTB: SuperMicro 825 chassis

I might have one I am planning to sell (pretty sure it is an 825 w/tq anyway), will look when i get home.
  13. T

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X Launch A Threadripper on a Budget

Thanks for giving me a good reason to hold onto this ECC DDR4. Looking forward to these or the EPYC now.
  14. T

Sick and tired of FreeNAS, need alternates>>>

I feel like if you already have ZFS, why not just move it to freebsd and use bhyve for virtualization? If the requirements are NFS/SMB and one VM, that is way easy if you are okay with the CLI. Personally, I don't see any reason to over-complicate it.
  15. T

C6100 Fan speed / FCB

If you aren't too concerned with soldering, I recommend replacing the fans as per another post on STH. From what I remember my C1600 (gone) dropped to relatively quiet once they were replaced. The only issue I had was the fans would spin too low at times and the C6100 would flag it as a warning...
  16. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Finally moved and got stuff in order, now I've replaced most of everything so it's time to get rid of overstock. All items are plus shipping unless otherwise noted. Paypal and US only (sorry). Local pickup northern Colorado (FoCo area). Feel free to send PMs with offers/questions. Combos...
  17. T

pfsense latency test

This is a good reference document: FreeBSD forwarding Performance [BSD Router Project] The CPU difference can change several areas depending on your application. Firewall rules, NIC polling, disabling of offload (technically correct), VPN, etcetera will all affect latency and CPU usage.
  18. T

OmniOS and Chelsio T420

Been awhile since I've been on Solaris/clones, but did you check prtconf? Might have to plumb the adapter.
  19. T

Sun Oracle F80 800GB PCIe Flash Accelerator 7069200 LSI WarpDrive 6203 $195 + FS

I see the card on the Illumos hardware compatibility list (SSS6200), so I don't see why you couldn't make it work under OmniOS at a minimum. YMMV