Search results

1. A

Did I burn up the IPMI temp sensor on my Supermicro X11SDV motherboard

Well i think i did a bad thing. I was doing some configuring in the bios getting ready to deploy one of my supermicro X11SDV-8C-TP8F motherboards and I forgot that these are 80w chips so I did not put a fan on the heatsink. It ran like this for 3-5 minutes when i started to smell something...
  2. A

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

Hey everyone. So the question that's been asked before gets asked again, but this time for 2020. Building a new home and looking at network cabling options in the house. Home is large, Aprox 5500sq ft. so some runs could stretch out to 100m in length. Cat 6, Cat 6A, Cat7, Cat8, and Fiber. All...
  3. A

Latency Difference Between AOC and DAC Cables

Searched all over, cant find the exact answer i'm looking for. Is there any difference in latency performance in active optical cables (AOC) vs copper direct attach cables (DAC). Alot of posts seem to indicate that their performance is 'similar' or nearly similar but never states the exact...
  4. A

Proxmox Host with Non-ECC memory and a Freenas Shared Storage Server with ECC Memory

hello everyone. So for a long time I have wanted to build a shared network storage server to house my home lab VMs instead of just storing them locally on my Proxmox Host. Lots of reasons for doing this, a few for not doing this. However, and my real question here, I have always wondered about...
  5. A

Ryzen 3000 and PCH Slot Video Card. No Video

So I've got plenty of pretty proper servers with ipmi and onboard vga for management but i'd like to build a proxmox host around the AM4 X570 platform. I got a gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA motherboard and a ryzen 3700x. I also have a zotac x1 pci e gt 710 video card which I would love to use in...