Search results

1. P

Advice on Dropbox replacement for a novice/rookie.

Well, kind of. Resilio Sync is proprietary P2P and used for syncing - which is not exactly the same as file sharing but pretty close. There is also open source Syncthing - which is also P2P sync. So built on the same basic technology as standard bittorrent but not exactly the same. But what...
  2. P

Advice on Dropbox replacement for a novice/rookie.

There is a very simple solution to this that is almost always overlooked. That is to use private bittorrent peer-to-peer filesharing. Doesn't require you to "host" anything on a separate server, but you could if you want. If you want to share the files with multiple people, they all become...
  3. P

X9DRi-LN4F+ cpu support help

CPUs that you could buy over the counter would be the ones that Supermicro motherboards must support because anybody could have bought them and put them in a server. Looking here List of Intel Xeon processors (Ivy Bridge-based) - Wikipedia there are only two 12 core retail CPUs in the E5-2600...
  4. P

Here is what Supermicro says about OEM CPUs on another X9 motherboard: FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
  5. P

I think the mixed results would be had when trying to use OEM CPUs, not the standard Intel retail CPUs. So 12 core E5-2695 V2 and E5-2697 V2 should work fine. For 10 cores E5-2680 V2 is usually very good value.
  6. P

Supermicro says E5-2600 v2 family (up to 135W TDP) with BIOS 3.0 or higher. I assume all standard CPUs work (but not perhaps OEM special SKUs). https://www.supermicro.com/products/archive/motherboard/x9dri-ln4f_ What did you have in mind?
  7. P

odd mdadm behavior

Thanks, but my mdadm skills are only so-so and I haven't kept up with the latest developments. You'll find the real experts on the mdadm developers mailing list, called linux-raid. This is their wiki: Linux Raid Wiki To your question though: first, most distros set up a periodically occuring...
  8. P

odd mdadm behavior

One other thing that is good to do is to take a look at your /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file. You create an array and everything looks good but after a reboot things have changed. md (the device driver in the kernel) is what actually runs your raid array and mdadm is the management tool. Something...
  9. P

odd mdadm behavior

No, it wouldn't make sense. One thing that can really mess with your head is when you play around adding drives and spares, removing drives, re-adding drives etc. There is a signature on each drive so that md knows what drives belongs to what array. I managed to get strange combinations when...
  10. P

odd mdadm behavior

Well, it doesn't look like you created a 7 drive RAID6 with one hot spare. It looks like you created an 8 drive RAID6. Then you had I/O errors on two of the drives (sdc & sdh). If you did create a hot spare you should have been able to find when it was being activated in the log files...
  11. P

Epyc to replace E5-2630

We run xcp-ng hosts at work and I don't see a problem with what you're running. Except ZFS and spinning disks. Those a red flags to me when it comes to the snappiness of the VMs. You actually have a fair amount of CPU usuage for your few VMs. I'd take a look at individual VMs to see where the...
  12. P

Epyc to replace E5-2630

I've ran a lot of tests and xcp-ng can handle numa architecture and put the right cores on the right CPU pretty good. So pinning cores has limited use. The only time I would consider it is if you dedicate cores at all times to a VM for latency reasons and accept overall performance loss. Or if...
  13. P

Epyc to replace E5-2630

If I wanted to upgrade the CPUs I'd use swap in two E5-2680 V4. It's better for virtualization because it has more cache, more cores and still better single core performance compared to e5-2630 v3. And it's ridicously cheap - $30 or so per CPU.
  14. P

Epyc to replace E5-2630

96GB is a bit of an odd configuration for that E5 v3/v4 CPUs. For maximum performance you should run a balanced memory config on the 4 memory channels and ideally have max 2 DIMMs per channel. That means 4 or 8 DIMMs per CPU. In practical terms using 16GB or 32GB DIMMs with 2 CPUs you end up...
  15. P

Have LTO tape library but how do I get started?

Thanks. I'm going to take a look at ITDT. I saw it in a video on how to troubleshoot tape drives as well. But I'll probably skip bareos because I don't want any backup software to manage the backups. I'm just going to use pure shell scripts. I was initially thinking about using LTFS but there...
  16. P

How to protect a selection of data against bit rot?

If you want to make sure your data is intact and untampered with as you move it between drives and different mediums, you need to generate a checksum on the file level. That is what you see when you download files from reputable sources. It's usually a checksum in the form of SHA-256 file hash...
  17. P

Hardware TPM pass-through: is it a thing?

Windows licence key is actually stored in the ACPI MSDM table in your hardware. You can read it if you go into the shell on proxmox since proxmox is just linux. Try this: sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM You can probably use that particular license key to activate windows in a VM...
  18. P

Powering a Dell Optiplex Micro with 24v

All is fair in war and hobby projects! I'm surprised to see intelligence in the PSU for something likes this. If it was USB powered it would have been another matter though. But of course it's all about vendor lock-in from Dell's point of view..
  19. P

Powering a Dell Optiplex Micro with 24v

There are actally several reasons why manufacturers make fanless computers made for mounting inside electrical cabinets. Or to put it another way, several reason not to use a office computer inside an electrical cabinet. First is obvisouly the ability to run on standard 24V power (or 12V is...
  20. P

Have LTO tape library but how do I get started?

Thanks David, that's great. Sounds like this is the first thing I should do.