Search results

1. O

Confused about high availability clusters, swarms, etc.

Thanks for the response, Sean! Yeah, I did give a little thought to all that but I’m just going to have to live with downtime if my internet goes down. Maybe later I’ll give some thought to a failover (maybe 5G?) device if it doesn’t cost me a lot. I plan to get a UPS later to deal with brief...
  2. O

Not getting notifications, can’t update my @ddress or change my password

I’m not getting notifications because I need to change the email address associated with my account. But when I try to do that, Im asked for my password and I get a message that it’s incorrect. (Even though I can login with it, no problem.) I thought I’d just change my password (maybe the one I...
  3. O

Confused about high availability clusters, swarms, etc.

I’m building a home lab and I want to self host a few websites and several services like NextCloud, Joplin, PhotoPrism, etc. I plan to run each service in a Docker swarm for high availability and load balancing. I’d like to run all these containers on a HA cluster of servers; I have several...
  4. O

How important is the GPU in a new DIY media server build?

Yeah, I’ve seen that. Even tried to set it up and get it working. Twice. I just recently saw this which is containerized so I‘m much more likely to be successful in getting it up and running. But it’s the local web server, push notification, and the ability to make changes to the files before...
  5. O

One last question about cheap Quadro cards… does it matter (as far as transcoding goes) how much memory it has? Or is it just the GPU I should care about? And are any of the Quadro cards too low/old? Should I stick with _____ and above?
  6. O

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful input. Nice. I was completely unaware of QuickSync. I think I’ll do some reading. Thanks for that recommendation. Looks like I can get an i5-8400 (8th gen, 6 cores, 35W TDP) on ebay for about the same price (~$80) as an entry level 8th gen i3. The low TDP is...
  7. O

Rack mount replacements ears

I have an ARK 4U rackmount server case that I’m very happy with. Unfortunately, the ears were lost in a move. (Don’t ask why the ears were removed; it’s a long story.) ARK is apparently no longer in business so I can’t order replacements from them. Is there such a thing as universal replacement...
  8. O

One big home server or several small ones?

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I have a super busy life with a to-do-list that's 10 miles long, so my projects tend to move in slow motion. Having crunched on all this for a couple of months, now, here are the conclusions I've come to... The biggest problem with the "1 big server" approach...
  9. O

Cheap, secure online storage?

Thanks, Aestr! 1TB is probably all I need for all my personal data, photos, etc. If I could find something at a good price point, OI'd consider backing up all my CD/DVD/BD rips as well. I'll look into Backblaze and Crashplan.
  10. O

Nice! Thanks manxam!
  11. O

If I want to run my own NextCloud server but I also want that data securely backed up offsite, who has the best pricing for 1+ TB?
  12. O

One big home server or several small ones?

Background: I have a media server that's been offline for a while. It has several disks between 1TB-3TB (JBOD) and room to add more. I built it to simply store all my CD, DVD and BrD rips. I played the files on an HTPC so transcoding wasn't an issue - but I retired the HTPC some time ago and I...