Search results

1. F

Questions about colocating

Thanks. Sounds like I'll need to verify this at every data center. Servergarden in their first email to me wrote "- we can serve performance exceeding 10kW/ rack" and later clarified that they "guaranteed" 10 kW. Now I understand why they worded it that way. Good point about the power...
  2. F

Thanks. Do you mean that if all of my servers are the same, then with 3 phases it would be best to have the number of servers in a rack be a multiple of 3? Or is there some other way to balance the load between the 3 phases? And yes, if I want to sacrifice redundancy to double the power draw...
  3. F

Ok, so I'd have to hook up half the servers in each rack to one redundant power source and the other half to the other source, effectively giving up redundancy. My power consumption is extremely steady. I just watched my GPU power consumption via nvidia-smi for a few minutes and it fluctuated...
  4. F

I am not sure about the power specs but 3*16A * 220V would be 10.56 kW. Budapest seems to have mostly 3 kW racks, a few facilities which go to 6 kW/rack, and two facilities which go to 10 kW/rack, at least from what is publicly available. Maybe I'm missing something. Here is the page for...
  5. F

Servergarden.hu got back to me about pulling more than 10 kW from a 10 kW rack with a non-committal answer: each rack is guaranteed to get 10 kW, and "in practice" the maximum "might be 10 kW". This data center only offers 10 kW racks and claims to be the densest in Budapest. Each rack gets...
  6. F

Makes sense, I'll ask. The cooling capacity is probably a lot more flexible than the power. Would it make sense to hook up the two redundant power supplies on each server to the two different redundant power sources from the data center, so that when one of those two data center power sources...
  7. F

The data center I'm talking to now (servergarden) specifies their 10 kW racks as "redundant power (2x)3x16A", which is more than 20 kW when both redundant halves are working. I wonder if it's possible to run the servers in that rack at the full 20 kW, and when one of the redundant halves goes...
  8. F

Choosing a server/chassis for GPU workload

That's pretty cool, it's a 280 Watt CPU in 2u at 50 db. It's for CPU-centric workloads though.
  9. F

Stuffing a 3970x into 2u seems pretty crazy, that's a 280 Watt CPU. How much is that builder charging? For your use case GPU underclocking might not be so clear, you'll need to run the numbers. Underclocking makes more sense when your workload is steady. For example, if you run a 2080 Ti at...
  10. F

Interesting. My workload also has a CPU component, Threadripper would make sense for me as well but I want IPMI and no sTRX4 boards currently support it. Also, Epycs are basically underclocked Threadrippers and that might not be such a bad thing (see below). I will be ordering my first system...
  11. F

Does this mean that it's possible to negotiate 50% off? It seems to me that every data center is optimized for a certain density. TTC Teleport is optimized for 6 kw racks (but offers 10 kW racks at the same price per kW for people who really insist on that). Verne Global and servergarden.hu are...
  12. F

One more question: are there any other cheap "direct power" services out there which have a lower minimum kW than the 90 kW minimum of Verne Global? Is it possible to rent a single 10 kW rack somewhere without UPS for significantly less than €160/kW/month?
  13. F

Thanks. That all makes sense. Verne Global lets you ship your equipment directly to them from the vendor and will hold it for you for free in a secure bay. Traveling there once every year or two would be no big deal. 6 kW cabinets make sense when they're available. TTC Teleport offers a 6 kW...
  14. F

I posted some questions about colocating these servers here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/questions-about-colocating.28557/ It seems that 10kW per rack is kind of a sweet spot, only a few data centers offer more than that and those services aren't any cheaper per kW. Four...
  15. F

I am looking for a colocation facility and have a few questions. Background and requirements: 1. This will be my first time colocating. 2. I need a rack of around 10 kW, which I will fill with 4u 1 kW inference servers (hardware discussion here...
  16. F

Aha, got it. So basically the Supermicro motherboards consolidate those eight traditionally scattered connectors into a single 8x2 connector, and if you use a Supermicro motherboard with a non-Supermicro chassis, those eight individual connectors from the chassis will all just happen to connect...
  17. F

Thanks for the heads-up. That's weird that this isn't included with the case. I guess this part from the 747TQ part list must do the equivalent for the Supermicro boards: Supermicro 75cm CBL-0071 16-Pin to 16-Pin Front Control Panel Cable
  18. F

I'm going to go with the Supermicro AS-747TQ and Gigabyte MZ01-CE1. This is the only good server-grade solution which is currently available and fits into the racks at my intended data center, and it happens to be the cheapest of the prospective solutions and has the best ratio of capital costs...
  19. F

Yeah, I'm starting to think that this is the best option. Even aside from the 800 mm depth, those hacks I wrote about for the G292-Z42 were probably just too convoluted. The 4124GS-TNR would make some sense if it was available soon. PCIe topology is no problem for me (my GPUs don't talk to each...
  20. F

The data center got back to me. They have two types of racks, 71 cm and 75 cm (distance between the mount rails). Only the 71 cm racks can be rented by the rack. There are other data centers in Budapest of course but they're either significantly more expensive or can handle much fewer Watts per...