Search results

1. zogthegreat

Using a server PSU for 12v power supply

Hi everyone! I'm upgrading an old PrintrBot Plus 3D printer. This is the original PrintrBot and there is no support for this printer anymore. I'm using a BigTreeTech SKR-E3-DIP for the new controller and a BigTreeTech BTT-TFT35-E3-V3.0 for the display. I have an old Dell server PSU that I...
  2. zogthegreat

How to passthrough PCI-e USB card with Proxmox 6.3

Hi everyone! I'm setting up a Proxmox server and one of the things that I would like to do is a passthrough for my add on PCI-e USB 3.0 card. I have found plenty of instructions on how to passthrough a USB stick, but I can't find anything on passing through the actual USB 3.0 card. Does anyone...
  3. zogthegreat

HP Proliant DL380p G8 vs Dell PowerEdge R720

Hi everyone! I wasn't sure which category to post this, moderators please repost to the proper thread if necessary. So I've been running my home server off of an Asus Z9PR-D12, However, the board has been slowly dying and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little less flaky. I'm leaning...
  4. zogthegreat

WD RED drives and small file server w/ ZFS

Hi everyone! Happy New Year! Let's hope that this one is better than the last! Although, let's be honest, the bar is rather low here! ;) So I'm planning to up grade my home file server. Here's my current hardware: Asus Z9PR-D12 motherboard with 2 Xeon E5-2620 2.0ghz ASUS PIKE 2008 RIAD flashed...
  5. zogthegreat

Intel DC S3500 vs Kingston HyperX for OS/SLOG drives

Hi everyone! So I've been slowly rebuilding/upgrading my home server. I've been buying a few parts every month and this month I'm looking at upgrading my 32gb SATA drives that run my OS, (Proxmox), with something a bit better. I will also be adding a SLOG drive for my ZFS array. After doing...
  6. zogthegreat

How to download an ISO to a Proxmox zfs storage pool

Hi everyone! So I'm playing with Proxmox to replace VirtualBox. I found this video: which shows how to download ISO's to /var/lib/vz/template/iso. However, my OS drives are only 32gb, so I want to store my ISO images on my zpool drive, (rz2TB). Can I simply create a folder on the zpool rz2TB...
  7. zogthegreat

Going out of business sale for water cooling parts company

Hi everyone! So Sidewinder Computers, one of my favorite online sellers for water cooling is going out of business. I've shopped there for about ten years and I have always had excellent service before and after the sales. They are having a going out of business sale: Products The guy who...
  8. zogthegreat

Dell MC545 pinout

Hi everyone! I have some Dell MC545/SanAce 9CRA0412G5038 fans that were originally from a Dell PowerEdge 1950 that I would like to repurpose. Does anyone have a link for the pinout on these fans? Thanks! zog (Note) Moderators, please move this message if you think that another category would...
  9. zogthegreat

Looking for advice for file server

Hi everyone! So I'm planning to upgrade my home file server. Currently it's running on a SuperMicro X8DTT-F blade board with a Dell PERC H310 in IT mode. I'm planning to switch out the SuperMicro board with an ASUS Z9PR-D12 motherboard that someone gave to me. This board is nice for me because...
  10. zogthegreat

Low power socket 1366's - any suggestions?

Hi everyone! So, I'm planning a pfSense firewall that will be built on a SuperMicro X8DTT-F motherboard, because the boards are really cheap! Since this will only be acting as a home firewall, a chips like a Xeon E5645 would be a bit of an overkill. Also, this board will be running 24/7, so...
  11. zogthegreat

RAID 10 question - mixing hard drives

Hi everyone! So I'm using some old hardware to build a home server for SMB and NextCloud. I have 4 x Seagate 2TB 5900 rpm HDD's that I'm planning to run in a RAID 10, giving me a total of 4TB storage. These are the weird drives that Seagate put out some time ago with the strange rotational...
  12. zogthegreat

SATA cables for SuperMicro backplane

Hi everyone! I have a SuperMicro X8DTT-F that I am using for a project. Yes, yes, I know, I know, there is newer, prettier, faster hardware out there, but I already have this gear and I really don't want to spend the money on new equipment when what I have does the job. The motherboard came...