Search results

1. W

Mix and match RAM for server?

I have a mixture of DDR4 ECC UDIMMs - 2x Kingston 16GB, 1x Hynix 8GB, 1x Hynix 32GB. I think some are different speeds as well. I have tested the single sticks and the matched pair independently in my Asrock C246 motherboard with Passmark’s MemTest86 and all passed a full round as well as all 4...
  2. W

“Dual” bifurcation?

I have an Asrock C246 board and 2x Supermicro PCI-E to dual m.2 drive cards. I’m trying to use all 4 drives in the system but only the card/drives in the 16x slot (PCI-E 4) are detected. I’ve tried all possible BIOS settings but nothing changes. Any ideas? Note there is an m.2 to u.2 converter...
  3. W

Modern Xeon motherboard that supports disabling M.2 slots

I'm looking for a modern (C236 or later) motherboard that supports Xeon CPUs and ECC RAM and that has at least 2 (preferably 3-4) M.2 slots and the option in BIOS to disable each slot individually. The reason for this is I like to have a few different OSes for testing and like for them to be...
  4. W

What happened to Xeon D 1600?

I have never seen a Xeon D 1600 board or system, do they exist? https://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-d-1600-family-launched-as-a-broadwell-de-update/
  5. W

Does these power consumption numbers look appropriate?

I have the following system running 24/7, mostly at idle, in a home environment. I measured power consumption over several days using a Killa Watt meter at 216 Watts per Hour. Does that look appropriate for these specs? Supermicro SC846 w/ 920w SQ PSU Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F Xeon processor...
  6. W

Platform with HTML5 BMC and no UEFI

Is there a motherboard or platform with HTML5 BMC and no UEFI support? Like an old X9 Supermicro board but with newer BMC? I want to put together a test system and UEFI always seems to cause me problems.
  7. W

WTB: DDR4 ECC UDIMM

Looking for a stick of DDR4 ECC UDIMM to test a C246 board. Anyone have a spare?
  8. W

New rack scratching wood floors when moved

I bought a new StarTech 4POSTRACK25U rack and after loading my equipment in it, I had to move it out of the server closet a few times and realized it was leaving light scratches on the wood flooring when I did so. I didn’t have this problem with my previous StarTech rack but it didn’t have the...
  9. W

LSI SAS9300-4I4E heatsink

I have a LSI SAS9300-4I4E card and the heatsink just popped off of it. It looks like one of the little black plastic pins broke. The springs flew off, I doubt I can even find them. The heatsink looks to be OK, does anyone have any recommendations on how to reattach it? I could return it since I...
  10. W

Looking for a SAS3 HBA card

I just picked up a pair of Supermicro 2U servers with BPN-SAS3-826EL1 backplanes. I would like to set one up as a JBOD chassis. Any controller card recommendations? My motherboard is an ITX board with only 1 PCI-E slot so I'll need something that has both internal and external ports in 1 card...
  11. W

Budget platform for 256GB RAM?

I'm currently using a X10SDV-4C-TLN2F for my primary TrueNAS system. It has been a great board/platform. Rock solid and inexpensive ($230 for board, CPU, and 2x 10Gb NIC). However, it maxes out at 128GB RAM. I'm looking to increase to 256GB RAM and the only options I'm seeing are a Xeon D 2100...
  12. W

FS: [US] Supermicro X11SCL-IF, i3-8300 QS, 8GB DDR4 ECC

Have a bundle with the following items. Board is retail with all accessories, BMC and BIOS updated and reset to defaults. Asking $400 shipped. USA only. Supermicro X11SCL-IF Core i3-8300 QS - QP5N 8GB DDR4 ECC
  13. W

Supermicro caddies difficult to insert/remove

I bought a used Supermicro SC846 from eBay a few years ago and some of the hard drive caddies are quite difficult to insert and remove. Is this a common problem? I can’t see anything in the open bay obstructing the caddy and I’ve had no issues once the drives are in place but it is irritating...
  14. W

WTB: CSE-M35T-1B

Hi, looking for a CSE-M35T-1B or similar hot swap cage. Please reply or PM if you have one.
  15. W

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F BMC Firmware 3.88 vs 3.91

I just purchased a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F on eBay and upon logging into the BMC I see it has firmware rev 3.91 whereas the latest version according to the Supermicro product page is 3.88. Does anyone know what the difference is? Should I flash it to 3.88?
  16. W

WTB: Supermicro 3.5" to 2.5" Caddy MCP-220-00043-0N

Looking for 4x Supermicro 3.5" to 2.5" Caddy MCP-220-00043-0N
  17. W

IPMI to pfSense

I am using a pfSense system as my router. I would like to be able to connect from my primary workstation to the IPMI module on the pfSense system even when the pfSense machine is turned off. Right now this doesn't work. I suspect it is something I have set up wrong. Possibly I need to connect...
  18. W

FS: 4x Samsung SSD PM1643 3.84TB SAS 12Gb/s MZ-ILT3T8A

FS: 4x Samsung SSD PM1643 3.84TB SAS 12Gb/s MZ-ILT3T8A These drives were pulled from a NetApp appliance. I reformatted them to 512 byte sector sizes. They will show up in Windows and Linux now as long as you have a compatible SAS controller and the appropriate cables. I've used both SAS2 and...
  19. W

Front facing 1-2U chassis with redundant PSUs? Like CSE-505-203B

Is there a 1-2U version of the Supermicro CSE-505-203B with front facing motherboard I/O and redundant PSUs?
  20. W

WTB: DDR3 ECC UDIMM 4x8GB kit

Looking for some memory for a X10SAT DDR3 ECC UDIMM 4x8GB kit, 1333 or 1600 MHz