Search results

1. S

Where's the love for Windows 7?

Thank you for the comments. I guess one choses what works best for them. SnapRAID does the same primary function as UnRAID, is free and runs on Windows 7. Combined with Drivepool, I have a nice 96TB server for my HTPC (server built in 2014). I haven't installed a Microsoft update on any of my...
  2. S

Understanding operating temperature of a device especially ones that are pci mounted.

All the HBA or RAID cards and expanders I've used by 3Ware , LSI, Adaptec, Chenbro run too hot for long life. Even the ones with fans... I've had to add a fan to all that had none, and reengineer those that did have a fan.
  3. S

Where's the love for Windows 7?

Not many recent posts here for using Windows 7 for a HTPC server. It's the last Windows OS all the Microsoft spyware patches can be easily removed and costs practically nothing if you buy a used PC from eBay. Just curious.
  4. S

Adaptec RAID contoller issue

Good call. I toss drives the moment they show any issues. If staggered spinup causes POST issues, some BIOSes let you delay the POST (delay is usually adjustable).
  5. S

HBA for 10TB and larger harddisks

The Adaptec ASR-52445 (latest firmware b18948) says the HGST 10TB is 1.13TB. Adaptec Support said the drive is likely at fault (they were correct). They also confirmed TCA-00296-05-C controllers are rev C1 PCB (what the eBay seller has) and supports large drives. Note this controller is...
  6. S

help buying new reliable fileserver/sas expander... 24/36/48 bay

"but the M1015 should have zero issues with 10TB drives" Likely true with any other model 10TB drive. I have confirmed the HGST 0F27502 HUH721010ALN600 with whatever firmware version it has is at fault. Note I purchased 3 of these drives over a 2 year period. They all have the same size...
  7. S

Either I've been very unlucky with multiple various components, or there does exist an 8TB barrier. Enough said.
  8. S

Limits I've recently experienced: Drives larger than 8TB are not typically supported with legacy RAID, HBA, expanders, onboard SATA. My 2 attempts at getting an IT flashed M1015 both failed to see all 10TB with some first generation HGST He10 drives. Startech has an external USB 3.0 case the...
  9. S

The HGST He10 works fine in my Startech USB 3.0 external cases. It also works fine in one of my Win7 boxes direct to a SATA port. That box does not have UEFI BIOS. It has an I5 CPU. I have about 8 other Win7 boxes with Core2Duo and Quads, I3, I5 CPUs. When directly hooked to a SATA port, none...
  10. S

After more research, it seems most HBA and RAID card manufacturers have a compatibility chart for large drives. Why? Isn't there a detailed specification for hard drive and controller manufacturers to follow, making compatibility charts unnecessary? It would be dumb if every new drive has to...
  11. S

I don't use any backplane, all direct breakout cables from the Chenbro CK23601 (SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cable, Molex 79576-3003) 1. I even tried removing the Chenbro from the equation (just unplugged the connecting cable) and plugged a 79576-3003 cable directly into the M1015. No change. I...
  12. S

It's not the 3.3v issue. 10TB drives I have are all first gen HGST He10 which don't have the hard reset feature. They do spinup, but the size is not correctly detected. I have an old M1015 flashed to LSI 9211 -8i IT mode. I use a Chenbro 32 port SAS expander and use 24 of the ports with...
  13. S

There seems to be an 8TB barrier with every HBA and RAID card I've tried. Anyone found one that works with the 10TB to 14TB drives? I plan to use it with the 20 to 40TB MAMR or HAMR drives when they come out. I would like to use 4 of these cards in one box. My motherboard has four 8x slots. 60...