Search results

1. M

Whats the new C6100 alternative these days?

I have 10 servers (2 x full C6100's and 2 x CS24-TY's). They have been pretty good to me, but I have an overly complex setup and Im looking to simplify things and upgrade to a bit newer cpu's, etc. Are there any good deals going on these days for quad node type servers? I think I will just use...
  2. M

Dell C1100 CS24-TY no IP kvm?

I have two Dell C1100 CS24-TY servers with BCM Firmware version 0.29. When I try to go the kvm console in firefox on osx system, it brings up a file browser like its asking to pick an application to open it. I do have java installed and it works fine with my c6100's. I thought maybe i needed...
  3. M

Dell C1100 dimm slots

Im in need of some help. I have a dell c1100 with 18 dimms of 4gb ram and dual 5520 CPUs. Supposedly they are organized in 6 banks of 3. I cat figure out from the manual which ones i need to keep populated to scale down to only 6 dimms totally 24gb.. The manual doesn't say which slots are which...
  4. M

HP DL180 G5 Internal Power for Sata drives?

Id like to stick some SSD's inside my HP DL180 G5's as I have 6 sata ports on the motherboards, but I dont see any way to power the drives. Dont see any power options on the backplane that I could split off of or use direct either. Any ideas/suggestions?
  5. M

Dual Failover Pfsense with bridged WAN?

I am going to try and break question into a few different blocks order to make it a little easier to organize. I have two pfsense firewalls with 4 x 1g ports each and 2 x Layer2 LB4 switches and the plan is to have a one network drop from my colo into each firewall (total of two drops), then...
  6. M

Dell C6100 Configure IPMI from OS?

With my other dells, I could configure IPMI from CentOS, though I didnt have full BMC as far as I know. I mainly used it for power functions and never even actually tried SoL. Anyway, I am trying to see if I can configure my C6100's in Ubuntu through ipmitool, but it doesnt seem to see anything...
  7. M

Live USB for Ubuntu storage node?

If I am going to run Ubuntu off a usb thumb drive for my storage nodes, what do you think is the best way to do it so that not is the speed decent, but I shouldn't have to worry to much about the write life of the drive? Dont most of the live usb options out there use fat32? The options out...
  8. M

12 x 3.5 caddies for C6100 - $99!

Sorry for the double post, but figured this was worth mentioning here as well: Ladies and Gentleman, I just found an amazing deal for 3.5 caddies at $99 for 12 of them...
  9. M

WTB: 13 x 300GB 15K SAS Hard Drives

I am in the market for 13 x 300GB 15K SAS Hard Drives. Need them for a secondary storage server. Figure I can get a good deal at about $50 each, plus shipping, but figured I would ask here first before going ebay hunting. That was about the price I paid in May for my last batch.
  10. M

OpenStack Buildout Advice needed

Just wanted to see if I could get any feedback on my initial cloud buildout and if you thought I should do it differently and any other suggestions, etc . I already have most of the hardware, though I am willing to adjust it a bit to get a better base setup for my initial cloud. I am completely...
  11. M

Dell Mezzanine SAS Controller for C6100 - Y8Y69 - IT mode

I need to figure out what firmware I should be using to flash the Dell Mezzanine SAS Controller for C6100 - Y8Y69 into IT mode. I have the lsiutil installed and when i try to use the SAS3081E firmware, im getting: It might work, but I am a bit scared to try. Any recommendations? I want to...
  12. M

Hybrid 10GbE/Infiniband card?

I am seeing really conflicting information on this Mellanox MHGH29-XTC for $100. He states Ethernet only, yet then in the description it says both IB and 10GbE. My switch uses 10GbE CX4 uplinks. The spec sheet seems to state that it does both as well an the firmware release says "supported...
  13. M

Infiniband support?

I have dual 10Gb Top Spin Infiniband cards and a TRX 100 switch with 4 x 10Gb CX4 ports. I just found that out that freebsd's IB support is pretty poor and freenas definitely doesnt support it. Nas4Free might be an option, but doesnt seem like that many people are using IB with it or with...
  14. M

Help finding a low cost 20A PDU?

I am finally upgrading from my 2 smaller colo's to a half rack and now I have to provide my own PDU, which I wasn't initially expecting. I am looking to spend less than $100 after shipping and even less would be better. I don't think I need remote reboot as I can do that with IPMI on 98% of my...