Search results

1. S

Picking a board/cpu for a SMB file server

I should've mentioned up front, but this will almost certainly be running FreeNAS Scale and using ZFS for the storage pools. Does this change your opinion at all? Hmm, I wasn't thinking too much about that. I figured cooling wouldn't be a big deal for such a low powered chip. I'm going to be...
  2. S

I'd be willing to use the slots but on the other hand the A2SDi is ~$300 less than the original board/cpu combo (X12STH-F/E-2378G) and already has the 12 SATA ports and 10Gb NICs. I guess I'm having a hard time deciding on if the A2SDi is too old / slow compared to other options, vs the cost...
  3. S

Hi all, I am putting together a build for a file server that can handle some light VM applications. 10Gb NICs are ideal, and IPMI is required. Originally I was looking at the X12STH-F paired with something like a E-2378G but really prefer something with more throughput than the 2x1Gb ports &...
  4. S

PMS 4.0...PMS 5.0...PMS 6.0...No PMS 7.0! Plex/Storage server upgrade [PICS]

I'm the same way re: #1 and #2. To keep TDP and idle power consumption way down I'm thinking the 4109T is going to be the way to go for my build. It's only 70W TDP compared to all the others at 85W. It costs the same as the 4110, but the efficiency is worth the slight speed difference. I think...
  5. S

PMS 4.0...PMS 5.0...PMS 6.0...No PMS 7.0! Plex/Storage server upgrade [PICS]

I've been following your build as I'm building something similar. I think I'm going to stick with the Xeon Silver line and add something like a P400 to pass-thru for transcoding (with patched drivers to go past the 2 stream Nvidia limit), with my fingers crossed for Linux decode support coming...
  6. S

CPU upgrade from Xeon D-1541 for Media Server

Hmm, this thread has me rethinking the build I've been putting together. I was looking to build a server for a similar use-case using a X11SPL-F and a Silver 4108 CPU. I hadn't considered integrated graphics options at all. Am I really underestimating their help here? For reference most of my...
  7. S

Idle power usage for Intel Xeon Silver Models

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've been looking online non-stop and cannot seem to find solid answers. I see above the max power consumption numbers, but can someone please post what they're seeing for idle power consumption at-the-wall for a similar build with a Silver 4108/4110 or...