Search results

1. M

My Opensense build

RAIDMax ATX-298WY ATX case (this is a mini-tower, bought for $25 at Fry's years ago) Bequiet BN639 SFX silent power supply (with ATX plate adapter) . $109 at Central computers. AMD Ryzen 5700G APU . $178 on Amazon . Noctua NH-D15S CPU cooler with lone fan removed . $89 on Amazon. 2 x 8GB...
  2. M

2 x Aquantia 10 Gbase-T AQN-107 NICs

Handles 2.5/5/10GBASE-T. Also 100/1000BASE-T. PCIe 3.0 x4. Works in x8 and x16 slots also. Will get full speed even in a 2.0 slot. $70 for one NIC. $120 for both. Free shipping through continental US. Pay by paypal.
  3. M

Help with HP 9207-4i4e needed - firmware update problem. LSI SAS2308

So, I have the above card for a few years. The BIOS screen never came on during POST, no matter which PCIe slot it was in. I decided foolishly to try to upgrade to latest firmware, with UEFI. But the firmware update failed, and now the card is non-functional. I downloaded the package from...
  4. M

hdparm power-up in standby vs LSI SAS 2308 controller

I have an LSI SAS controller and 8 WD140EDFZ drives - WD 14TB, shucked. I use them in Raidz2 under Ubuntu 20. Yesterday, I used hdparm to tune the power savings of the drives. I achieved some great results, according to my kill-a-watt. Except ... so good that now the drives won't spin up at all...
  5. M

1 x Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5 TB SATA-2 drive

Tested just a week ago with h2testw . This tool fills the entire disk, hashes the content, then reads it back and verifies the hash. All came out good. Smartctl shows 1 reallocated sector. I have never experience any problem with it. No warranty left. I'm asking just $19 or best offer. Hope...
  6. M

FS: 2 x Toshiba MD04ACA500 5TB SATA-3 drives. 2 x Toshiba HDWN160 6TB

I tested both 5TB just a week ago with h2testw . This tool fills the entire disk, hashes the content, then reads it back and verifies the hash. All came out good. Smartctl shows no reallocated sectors. These drives have very low hours - 700 and 455 respectively. They have been use mostly as...
  7. M

SOLD: 2 x WD30EZRX 3TB SATA-2 drives

I tested both just a week ago with h2testw . This tool fills the entire disk, hashes the content, then reads it back and verifies the hash. All came out good. Smartctl shows no reallocated sectors. $29 each or $49 for the pair. Will ship to US or Canada via USPS priority at cost. Payment by...
  8. M

FS : 2 x Seagate ST4000DM00 4 TB SATA-3 drives

I tested both just a week ago with h2testw . This tool fills the entire disk, hashes the content, then reads it back and verifies the hash. All came out good. Smartctl shows no reallocated sectors. $39 for one or $69 for both. Will ship to US or Canada via USPS priority at cost. Payment by...
  9. M

Netgear GS110MX - 2 x 10Gbase-t + 8 x1 GbE - $138 on Amazon

Got this in my camelcamelcamel notifications today. Lowest price ever. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076642YPN?tag=camelanonalerts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US I already have one of these switches in my home theater room for a little over a year and can vouch it's a great switch. It...
  10. M

Internal 5x3.5 drive cage for toolless case ? Or best 4x3.5 / 3x3.5 cage

My current case (Cooler Master HAF XM) fits 6 internal 3.5 drives, another 2 through the hotswap drive bays. In one of the 3 front drive bays, I have one more SATA dock that allows for one extra 3.5 drive. So that's 9 drives total. The case has tons of airflows through a number of very large...
  11. M

Power management for Ubuntu 18.04 Linux NAS ?

I setup a NAS with Ubuntu 18.04 and ZFS and 5x10TB drives in RAIDZ2. It's working great. The only concern is the power usage. It uses about 100W idle and would thus use 876 kWh per year. At PG&E's rates, that can be quite expensive - between $200 and $300 per year. I have WoL working already. I...
  12. M

Power consumption for home NAS

I built a NAS with the following specs . The power consumption is about 100 to 102W idle according to my kill-a-watt. I am wondering if there is anything I can do in order to reduce the idle power consumption. Z170 chipset . Asus Z170-AR motherboard Skylake 6600k CPU running at 4.4 GHz NH-D14...
  13. M

10 Gbe ethernet copper switch with more than 2 ports ?

I recently upgraded 2 machines in my home office to 10 Gb ethernet using Aquantia NICs. I bought a Netgear GS110MX for $160 recently (looks like price has gone back up to $199 now). I have one more machine in another room that I would like to upgrade to 10 Gbe also. This presents a problem...