Search results

1. F

unreadable video during esxi install through ipmi

Im not an expert, but I just finished setting up my core build using esxi on the x10slm as well. What cpu + other hardware are you using? Also it looks like you're accessing kvm viewer from the web remote ipmi. Could be a java version issue? Also try installing ipmi viewer and using that...
  2. F

[WIP] Coming to the dark side (consultation is appreciated)

*** Update*** ddrescue is chugging along so slow. I've plugged the External Seagate 3TB HDD into the USB3.0 port and its still chugging along slowly. Fastest speed I witnessed was about 35MB/s. I know I'm only 'halfway' through as I have 1.5TB of data on it. Its now way pass the 24hour mark...
  3. F

*** Latest update *** Now that I have the 'core' services up and running, its time to recover as much data as I can from my failing external HDD I previously used on my cheap home server. I did a rookie mistake of enabling DirectPath I/O passthrough on the USB Host controller for the guest OS...
  4. F

new home server questions

I guess that makes sense for a simple setup. RDM isn't officially supported by VMWare? Interesting.
  5. F

new home server questions

Hi modulus, Any particular reason why you wouldn't want to virtualize it through ESXi? Just curious. I've just started implementing my own virtualized server and I think it will help future proof your setup i.e. implementing future hardware or OS upgrades. You could even troubleshoot issues...
  6. F

Thanks Patrick Latest update is I've been building this for the past 9 hours, and I'm almost there. I'm having issues creating the zpool, it seems to through a Predictive Analysis error. Doing a iostat -en shows drive c1t0d0 with 5 Hard errors (ahh!). iostat -e gives more details that it was...
  7. F

*** Quick update *** Got all my stuff today. Here's some teaser pics:
  8. F

2013/10/16 UPDATE Haven't updated this thread/log until now as I've been doing a lot of research in learning more about virtualisation and my hardware compatibility. I've ordered all the components, and I've already received half of it. The only component delaying my last purchase order is the...
  9. F

It wasn't a SATA drive. It was just a 'normal' external hard disk connected via the USB port. It served its purpose at that time. Surprisingly it only lasted just a bit over a year. Its definitely a hardware failure as connecting the drive to my desktop and performing read/write operations at...
  10. F

Hi All, Been lurking for about 2 weeks and I think STH is great. It provided a non-IT industry person some great learnings and information on servers and virtualisation. I'd say that in personal computing I'm proficient but this is 'relatively new' territory for me. Background I've been...