Search results

1. JimPhreak

14u Cabinet For Home Office

I'm looking into possibly putting a 14u rack cabinet in my home office to consolidate all my tech into one location and save space. I came across this Middle Atlantic rack. Has anyone had any experience with these racks who can speak to the acoustics & cooling ability? Noise and heat...
  2. JimPhreak

New Workstation - 10Gb SFP+ / Virtual Node?

I'm looking to replace my current everyday workstation (see specs below) with one that will give me a little more flexibility. Currently my workstation build is much like a gaming PC yet I game maybe once a month at most. Current Workstation: i5-4690K 16 GB DDR3 ASRock H97M-ITX/ac Zotac GTX...
  3. JimPhreak

Proxmox Clustering / Networking Resources (coming from ESXi)

I've been looking into creating a Proxmox (since I can't afford ESXi licensing) cluster at home when I build my new storage server in the next month or two but I've underestimated how much different it is than ESXi which is pretty much where all my virtualization experience lies (dabbled in...
  4. JimPhreak

UPS Selection

I'm looking to purchase a decent UPS for my home network. Is there any fairly accurate way to determine my UPS power needs without a kill-a-watt? I'd like to run the following on the UPS: VM Server: Xeon D-1541 board with 2 x SFP+). No disks. Storage server: Xeon D-1508 board with 2 x...
  5. JimPhreak

ZFS pool with 4x SSD

I'm looking to create a ZFS pool (first time using ZFS) with my 4 x Intel 730 480GB SSDs to store my VMs and my Docker containers/appdata. What kind of performance can I expect for a 4 disk (2 mirrored vdevs) pool given some tweaking? The connection between this server and my VM server will be...
  6. JimPhreak

In search of 2 Rackmount Chassis' - Storage & VM host

I'm on the hunt for a rack mountable chassis that can effectively cool (without sounding like a jet engine) a D-1540/1541 that at times has a heavy workload (consistently transcodes for 4-6 str8 hours daily). I can't seem to find many good options that focus on cooling. I don't need any hot...
  7. JimPhreak

AIO vs. 2-3 Physical Nodes - Pros/Cons

I'm trying to way the pros/cons of building an AIO VM/storage server in addition to my current UnRAID server or build 2 new servers one for each purpose (VM, storage). Currently my UnRAID server acts as an AIO of sorts which provides the following services for my network: Stores all my bulk...
  8. JimPhreak

Need a silent managed gigabit switch

I've been using 2 Netgear Prosafe Plus switches on my home network for the past year. They've functioned just fine and do well enough supporting VLANs which is the main reason I got them. One of them will continue to function fine where it is but I need to replace the main one connected to my...
  9. JimPhreak

10G Storage/Transcoding Server Build - Wave 2 Xeon D??

I'm in the process of putting together the parts list for a small all SSD storage server at home to centralize some data that I'd like to pull off my bulk media storage server for access amongst multiple nodes. The main motivation is to centralize my docker config volumes for use by multiple...
  10. JimPhreak

VLANs in Workstation 12

My only experience with VMware is ESXi but I don't see (if it's possible) how to set a guest VM's network adapter to a specific VLAN. Is this possible in Workstation?
  11. JimPhreak

Docker Users? Thoughts on NFS mounted config volumes.

Currently I run a lot of services on my network in dockers on an UnRAID storage server. I'm in the process of building myself a small all-SSD storage server to host files I want fast network access to including my docker config files. I will be upgrading my network to 10GbE this summer but in...
  12. JimPhreak

Mini-ITX (or not?) storage chassis for SSDs

I'm looking to build a home storage server consisting of only SSDs so I'm in the market for a chassis to house it in. Ideally it will be tiny and take up very little room. However it must be able to house a mini-ITX board and at least 4 SSDs. Ideally It would have a single 5.25" drive bay so...
  13. JimPhreak

Micro-ATX Xeon-D boards?

Are there ever going to be any Xeon D boards that come in Micro-ATX form factor? I'm interested in selling my X10SDV-LN4F because I can't really find any good and quiet 10Gig switch options that have copper ports. But I need more than one PCIe slot since my current one is being used by an HBA.
  14. JimPhreak

NETGEAR ProSAFE S3300-28X/GS728TX-100NES fan replacement?

Has anyone replaced the fans on these switches and if so what were the results? I'm looking for a 10GbE switch that has at least two built in 10GbE copper ports (to pair with my X10SDV-LN4F board) and it seems like this switch is really my only option. However I've heard that they are very...
  15. JimPhreak

WTB: Intel RES2SV240 (or other PCIe SAS expander)

Looking for an Intel RES2SV240 or some other SAS expander that will work with my IBM M1015 card.
  16. JimPhreak

Need 480GB SSD's comparable to Intel 730's

Looking to pickup two 480GB SSD's to add to my cache pool that currently consists of two Intel 730's. I bought the 730's at a great price ($200 each) but now they are close to $300 each and can't swing that much. Are there any other good alternatives that will compare to the Intel 730's in...
  17. JimPhreak

High pitched sound from CPU under load

I moved my sever from a SuperMicro Mini Server case to a rack mount case last weekend and ever since then I've been noticing a high pitched sound coming from the CPU (Xeon D-1540) when it's got any kind of load on it. The sound goes away when the CPU is idle. Has anyone experienced anything...
  18. JimPhreak

Unable to create RDM

I'm having trouble creating an RDM based on the steps in this link. I keep getting a "missing required argument" error when I try. Anyone have experience with this?
  19. JimPhreak

SuperMicro SuperChassis 721TQ-250B (MINT!)

SuperMicro SuperChassis 721TQ-250B Just moved my server to a rack mountable chassis for more HDD bays so I'm putting this case up for sale. Such a fantastic microserver case for home office/living room environments as it is virtually silent. Case is just a few months old, in mind condition...
  20. JimPhreak

High pitched sound since changing chassis?

I just installed my server into a new chassis this weekend and now I'm hearing a high pitched sound (similar to that which comes from a TV at times) coming from the case. It's not deafening or anything but very annoying and if I have to listen to it for longer periods of time it will definitely...