Search results

1. fsck

RAID 30 terrible sequential read performace

Read speed is shit because you need to read the full set of drives. I'm willing to bet that SoC speed is your limiting factor. You need to crunch a parity for every byte instead of every block like you would with raid 5. So it's I/O intensive. If you give me the problem of building a raid 30...
  2. fsck

SUPERMICRO RSC-RR1U-E8 SNAPSNAP time?

Unless you have something to mount it to?
  3. fsck

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Brocade ICX 6610-48-E 48 Ports Gigabit Ethernet Switch | eBay 130$ USD + shipping, I got one from them last time. GOGOGO.
  4. fsck

I believe I saw some on ebay briefly on my hunt for a 6610, but it costed more than an AC switch. So think 300+$ USD.
  5. fsck

FS: Bulk AMD Opteron 6174 chips

Keychains? They're 45nm so they're quite old...
  6. fsck

Help arranging a home network

This is what I'd want to do: Kitchen: NAS1, NAS2, VM1, VM2, VM3 Living Room: WK1, WK2, WK3, LTP1, LTP2, LTP3, UnimportantSystems Right now, everything is in the living room. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well.
  7. fsck

Then I'd need to run fiber back into the kitchen for the servers. Right now, everything is on one switch, but it's all plain gigabit. I want to move all my high power/high heat stuff into the kitchen for better temperature management of my apartment.
  8. fsck

I could run everything off one switch but I'd need to do 3 runs of fiber and 10 ethernet for like 50ft a piece. Or, I could run 3 fiber and 1 ethernet and keep my GS1910. Frankly, I don't think there's a good way to run everything off one switch which is why I'm asking for help.
  9. fsck

Hi all. So I'm a bit of network beginner. I was wondering if there was a better way to arrange this network, it's hilariously simple compared to any serious deployments, but I feel like I might be missing something. I have been sleep deprived while setting this up so errors are probably crop up...
  10. fsck

Just a quick reminder what Shipping can do...

that makes me kind of sad. such abuse :(
  11. fsck

Since there is no new member introduction sticky...

welcome, join the addiction.
  12. fsck

well, I meant internally. I'm a function over form guy. sadly, my pair of 6610s are just departing for Canada.
  13. fsck

ever consider hacking in a blower? Those are flat and can push a decent amount of air.
  14. fsck

QNAP now selling Nbase-T 10gbe switches

Their pricing is kind of ridiculous for a dumb switch.
  15. fsck

Yet another PfSense Question - Building a box ( quiet/1u/passive'ish )

i3 3220 doesn't have AES-NI. He'd need an i5 or above for it, or a xeon.
  16. fsck

ASRock J3355B-ITX Intel Dual-Core Processor J3355 (up to 2.5 GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.com Don't forget about consumer netbook-size stuff or about mobile chips. Especially if you want to go completely fanless. Free Shipping! 4 Gigabit LAN ports Mini PC Celeron 3215U/Core...
  17. fsck

I agree, assuming you can actually get one. If you're american, there is still a surplus of Supermicro X9 LGA1155 gear hanging around and you can have a full system with a Xeon v2 (which have AES-NI unlike the i3s) for <200$ USD shipped I believe. Depends on how long you want to wait, how lucky...
  18. fsck

Are you running snort? budget? There are many, many options. I myself have the following box: e3-1220 v2 6GB ecc 80GB x-25m g2 running sophos home utm. It's in a supermicro 512 with the blower. I find it to be relatively quiet as my desktop drowns it out. Xeon-D's are popular for their 10G...
  19. fsck

Supermicro X11SCA X11SCA-W and X11SCA-F for Xeon E-2100 Workstations

Maybe people running antique hardware where all the documentation has been lost? PCIE controllers exist for GPIB and it came out in the 1970s. Also USB dongles exist, but that's a different issue.
  20. fsck

Cheapest Option for Raid 0?

A 9211-8i or it's derivatives? They can be had for like 30$ shipped in the US.