Search results

1. F

EU UK Cheap Fusion-io £150 3.2TB and £400 6.4TB PCI-e SSDs

Great news - thanks @acquacow - I really appreciate the replies. So I have ordered one of the 3.2TB grade B's to see what its like. Clearly I need this card for my ESXi estate which currently comprises of an enormous 14 VMs,... I don't know how I coped without one (seriously though it will get...
  2. F

You guys are right on the Quad Socket performance view point, but I just wanted one because I like faffing about with tech like this thats quite niche - I also wanted to consolidate 3 x DL380P G8s I was previously running and the extra cores help. I'm currently running ESXi 6.7 on it which is...
  3. F

You'd had made a small fortune for sure! thanks for posting it up! Great - I should be good to go then as other than the RAID controller there is nothing in it, its a fairly "new" system (the 16SFF bay model). Oh wow I didn't know @acquacow used to work for them, that's great, to be honest...
  4. F

Thanks - I am big time tempted to use one of these as a VMware Datastore, I notice only the B grades are left now.
  5. F

Hmm I came here just to browse the threads as this place is such a gold mine of a resource (I don't post much) and I see this thread, I am seriously tempted by one of the 6.4TB cards but was hoping to drop it into a R820 and tbh at this time I have no idea if it would fit. I will have to check...
  6. F

All SSD home NAS / SAN for VMware

This is the problem, I'm wandering into Nexus territory to retain the buffer performance, wasn't the 4948-10GE originally designed to almost run alongside Nexus as a ToR switch back then? So I've had a bit of time to play around with my array and running CrystalDisk on a VM (!) I'm getting the...
  7. F

Why'd we stop doing the how much bandwidth threads?

Are some of you guys pulling these internet statistics at home or is it in the DC? ;) there is no way I could get such bandwidth in my location - some of you don't know how lucky you are ;):)
  8. F

Hey guys First off many apologies for taking an age to reply, following my post life and work swamped me for most of this week. Some great recommendations here and for that thank you all! I am currently playing around with the setup before I settle on a given choice, at the moment I have gone...
  9. F

Hi gea Thanks for the link and suggestion, certainly open to the idea of using the R510 running VMware as it obviously gives me more VMware compute but is the H310 now going to be up to the job for this? if not can you suggest a HBA with more grunt? otherwise I'm going to try it and will let...
  10. F

Hi guys I was looking for some recommendations on what I could use software wise to provide storage to my VMware Lab, this is the kit I have: 2 x Dell R710s running VMware ESXi 6 (one with 288GB RAM, the other a measily 48GB but soon to be upgraded), both have 6 x 450GB 15K SAS drives and 2 x...
  11. F

EU ZyXEL-XGS4528F 24x 1G/4x 10G switch £68 crazy deal

Hi there - did anyone purchase one of these switches and if so what is your opinion in comparison to others highlighted on this forum? Thanks
  12. F

VMWare EVALExperience and vSphere 6.0

Just to add to my post I have just rechecked the VMUG site and I now have a working ESXi 6 license so the site must have just been updated today! Awesome.
  13. F

Thanks NetWise good to know it is not just me! I did log a support ticket and was told that we should see all the VMUG downloads updated to the latest releases sometime this week. Fingers crossed!
  14. F

Homebrew 10GbE switch

Hi Lance, I am interested to know how your testing goes also so please keep us uptodate if you have time! :) Thanks
  15. F

Hello all Is anyone actually using EVALExperience yet with vSphere ESXi 6.0? I know and can see that vCenter Server 6 has a license key but the license key for ESXi 6.0 only works for 5.5 presently, is that the same for you all or is just me? Thanks
  16. F

Physical Switch recommendations for SDN / OpenFlow Lab?

Hi all I am hoping someone can give me some advice on a cheap (ish) eBay sourced switch that I could add to my SDN / OpenFlow lab. I already have the Cisco CSR1000V, Juniper vSRX etc but I really wanted to add some physical hardware into the mix that supports OpenFlow and if possible VTEP /...
  17. F

Subnet manager available for ESXi :-).

Pretty sure this has been done now this week with version 3.3.16-64 and you can simply update the existing driver without entering maintenance mode.
  18. F

Infiniband questions :)

For sake of an update, here is further testing: I tried the RAMdisk idea but it wasen't much better (389MB/s), so I decided to fire up a couple of Linux VMs and perform some further tests using IPERF: 2 x ESXi Hypervisors 5.1 2 x CentOS x64 6.4 VMs one per ESXi host interconnected via 1 x...
  19. F

Infiniband questions :)

Hey Jeggs Thanks for your reply - I will try the RAMdisk copy and revert back the outcome, its a good idea! Just to add some more info, I'm using the on board motherboard SATA ports (high spec RAID controller is on the shopping list) and I observed no problems with the virtual machines during...
  20. F

My home lab

Hi all I wanted to post my ever changing lab here, its not quite in the same league as some of you guys but its ever evolving :D Network Cisco 2651 Gigabit Router Cisco 2611XM Router (junk) Dell PowerConnect 5324 (iSCSI) NetExtreme Summit 400-48T NetExtreme Summit 400-48T Cisco MDS-9020...