Search results

1. S

Help with SFP(+)

I would say that running optical cables will be better. First, the total cost is usually less than copper. This is because the SPF+ optical transceivers are much less expensive than DAC cables or SPF+ ethernet transceivers. Fiber optical cable is not expensive either (a 98' patch cable is...
  2. S

Home Install - What Cabling Would You Use?

I would suggest running the highest quality/spec cable that you can - especially if you cannot run conduit and will have to "live" with this wiring choice for decades. If you can run conduit, then today's cable choice isn't as important. As far as shielding, it may not be that important for...
  3. S

Home Install - What Cabling Would You Use?

I agree with the idea of running as much conduit as possible during the remodel - especially in any walls with insulation in them (ie outside walls) or to any spaces that don't have easy access from directly above or below (ie attic access or open floor joists in a basement, etc). But don't put...
  4. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The spec sheet says the POE power budget of the 6450 48P using just the internal power supply is 780 watts. As long as your individual devices draw 30 watts or less (the POE+ power rating that the switch is designed to supply), and the total wattage of all the connected POE devices is less than...
  5. S

ICX7250 ERROR: Ethernet external port not connected

The guides are pretty clear honestly. However some people get tripped up because they don't understand the difference between the dedicated management port (usually on the rear, but the location depends on the model) and a regular switch ethernet port. (EDIT - the management port is also...
  6. S

Cheap 10Gb SFP+ enterprise gear - whats out there?

There are several great threads on older enterprise network switches here. One of the more common one is the Brocade thread. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107 But there are others such as this Mellanox thread...
  7. S

Beginner Home Networking Setup

I honestly would purchase premade fiber runs instead of using raw fiber that would need to be terminated later. Something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/88535.html?attribute=802&id=1790096 As far as "remote" switches, it make it much easier to run wiring, but don't plan on putting the...
  8. S

Conduit is great for future proofing. But ideally you install empty conduit (with pull strings) only for future proofing. Any current wiring needs should be run outside of the conduit because once you get a wire or two in the conduit, it becomes much harder to add more wiring. It kind of...
  9. S

If you will have access to run wiring now during the renovation that won't be available in the future, you definitely need to concentrate on running wiring now. Not just network wiring, but anything you could see yourself needing in the future (ie alarm wiring, CCTV cables, low voltage wiring...
  10. S

Only one connection is required to create a stacking link. If you are stacking three or more switches, then using two connections per switch will ensure connectivity between switches even if one switch fails (when wired together correctly - see the stacking manual for more details). In your...
  11. S

Upgrade to Fiber, what switch?

I appreciate the fact that you want to try out "new" technology to learn about it. That being said, there is likely little benefit (outside of knowledge/experience) to be gained from "upgrading my apartment's network to fiber." I would suggest that you identify the largest need (ie the...
  12. S

2024 pfSense Builds

The point is that even operating as a layer 2 switch, the switch handles all intra-VLAN traffic. Therefore if you carefully plan out your VLANs to minimize the amount of inter-VLAN traffic, you can get nearly the same performance out of a layer2 switch as a layer 3 switch (all other things...
  13. S

2024 pfSense Builds

Who/what are you trying to protect here when you say "exposed services?" That could mean a lot of different things..... Even without fully understanding what you are trying to say, I think it is safe to say that in the OPs networkguy's case, the fact that his laptop can communicate with the...
  14. S

2024 pfSense Builds

You should put the laptop on the same VLAN as the server and then inter-vlan routing won't be a problem for those devices. That data will be routed at the switch level and not have to traverse to the router and back.
  15. S

Brocade Inter-VLAN routing on some but not all? Help

Not sure exactly what "that" is referring to, but I am going to guess it was my statement that I would recommend that most people set their home networks up as "router on stick" configurations (like you have set up) and not attempt to set their switches up for true layer 3 functionality unless...
  16. S

Brocade Inter-VLAN routing on some but not all? Help

So you have set up your OPNsense device to handle the VLAN management which means your network switch is functioning as a managed layer 2 device. It's "VLAN aware", but not functioning as a layer 3 device. Honestly this is how I would recommend a typical home network to be set up unless you...
  17. S

EXPIRED Brocade ICX7250-48P ($105/ea OBO + Reasonable Shipping)

There is no problem running your VLANs in PFsense IMHO - at least for the typical residential scenario. I think it is also much easier for a non-IT professional to set up their network that way too. Keep in mind that any traffic flowing in the same VLAN is handled at the switch anyway (without...
  18. S

Because "business class" switches like these are intended to be installed in network rooms and server rooms where a low noise threshold is much less important than longevity through adequate cooling. They were never designed to be put in a quiet residential setting.
  19. S

2.5Gb/ SFP+ uplink / POE+ managed switch landscape is frustrating right now.

Manufactures build products that are going to be in demand and sell well. In addition, most switch manufacturers are focusing on the business market, not the home market, and therefore don't cater their products to that we might need/desire. Even the manufactures that sell to the home user...
  20. S

Noob Networking- How do I split up my home network? Hardware, Software?

That is very common. Most "all in one" routers have a true switch in them which means you cannot assign the network ports out individually. However you might want to look into building your own firewall/router and using pfSense or OPNsense as the firewall software. Usually the multiport...