Search results

1. G

Newb Build

What's the purpose of a dedicated IPMI network connection? My motherboard has 1x Realtek RTL8201N PHY (dedicated IPMI). So now that I have located my server to the room it will stay in, I've routed three ethernet cables to it, for the 2 NICs and this dedicated IPMI. I don't see any difference...
  2. G

Newb Build

So installed and set up Tonido in about 3 minutes on a Windows Server 2019 VM. Maybe not as fancy as the other cloud services but gets the job done. I might still play around with some others. I put the two 3TB drives in a RAID 1 and made that my cloud/share drive. Added it as a raw drive to...
  3. G

Newb Build

So have PLEX running in a Win 10 Pro VM with the RAID 1 10TBs added as a raw drive. Everything is working. Set it up this morning and watching a movie tonight on the TV. Last time I had to redo everything on the old system it took 3 days. Looked at ownCloud and messed around with it a little...
  4. G

Newb Build

Ran CDM in a Win 10 VM CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World ----------------------------------------------------------------------- * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s] * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB =...
  5. G

miniITX GOD Box....Blasphemy!

I hate you... Will you adopt me? That thing is mindblowing. I'd have to take out a second mortgage.
  6. G

Newb Build

I don't see it anywhere. I went into my router and found that it did not show the two server NICs attached. I removed the HBA, no change. Removed RAID card, no change. Remove USB stick and booted into windows off a HDD that is installed. Looked at my router and the two NICs are there...
  7. G

Newb Build

I don't know what is going on. Trying the host ip. Tried again on my phone and now it won't connect either. I noticed since adding the Intel card, when booting I get, "not enough space to copy pci option rom". Investigating that, but pulled out the HBA and that message went away. Network...
  8. G

Newb Build

Redid things on my server. Added the Intel RAID card back it, set up a RAID 0 with the SSDs and a RAID 1 with the two 10TBs. Installed ESXi on a USB drive. Booted it up, all good. However, I can't reach the VMWare client from my computer. If I try from my phone on wifi, no problem. Stumped.
  9. G

Newb Build

And I just found another one... You can't remove an extent from a datastore. Have to delete the datastore and start over.
  10. G

Newb Build

Any reason to create more than one datastore with a single host? I can add storage whether its another partition on the same drive, partition on another drive, or add another complete disk.
  11. G

Newb Build

I can easily add a physical drive (raw disk) to a VM. It's like 3 clicks and done, don't have to do anything else (create a datastore, partition, format). It cannot be added to more than one VM at a time. I can just as easily remove it from one VM and add it to another VM. No need to shut...
  12. G

Newb Build

I didn't realize there was a standalone version of Hyper-v, that's cool. That would be something to consider, as now I don't want to have a full blown Windows install to run VMs in. What would be the correct terminology, bare metal hypervisor? I've tried Hyper-v (within Windows) quite a while...
  13. G

Newb Build

A little bit over my head at this point, but I'm working on it. Hmm, ownCloud, kinda like Tonido? I'm looking at it, giving me ideas. :)
  14. G

Newb Build

LOL :) I like the way you laid things out, this is helpful. "look at what method you will use to easily share that storage out in such a way that each of your VM's can access it and use it." I'm stuck on this one. More research is required.
  15. G

Newb Build

All my physical drives show up in ESXi. So you are saying I have to make each physical drive a datastore? I read in the documentation that if a make a whole drive a datastore, it erases everything on the drive. I guess my thought is to have a VM (NAS VM) running Plex (regardless of OS) and...
  16. G

Newb Build

Thanks to @BennyT 's thread on his server build https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lga3647-esxi-build-to-host-my-oracle-apps-databases.22870/ I'm trying out ESXi on my server. In the past, I've installed Windows and then used VirtualBox to create VMs. Utilizing ESXi to create...
  17. G

lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

Dude, this stuff is awesome! I can steal a 64GB SSD from my main computer and install that into the server to run ESXi on. I have two RAID controller cards, both SAS3, one is currently in IT mode. I see there are still some limitations with the VMs in VMWare, just like in VirtualBox. I...
  18. G

lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

So I went and installed ESXi after reading your adventures. You're telling me I can have multiple OSs without having to have an OS and then install VirtualBox to create VMs? I don't have to have a multi-boot system, shutdown, and reboot into another OS? I can manage all of this remotely? I...
  19. G

Newb Build

Got the 530-8i and after a lot of research and hours of trial and error, I was able to get it flashed to IT mode and it is showing up as an HBA 9400-8i in LSI Storage Authority. I still can't decide how to configure this server. Initially, I was just going to leave it with my two Micron SSDs...