Search results

1. A

How to secure my network

Thank you for your thoughts, you've given me a decent amount to read up on. :cool:
  2. A

How to secure my network

Ah, I'm sorry for not being specific. I still have to put in a call to the customer service and see what exactly is promised in the brochure, but I agree, my reading of it looks like there will just be one one fixed public IP, and yes, I'll need to NAT with my router. So, it really is as simple...
  3. A

How to secure my network

I will be switching home ISPs soon and the new provider offers static IP addresses (as opposed to the dynamic NAT'ed one offered by my current) without any firewalling or NATs. I'm considering this option but first I'd like to understand what precautions I need to take if I were to go that...
  4. A

PCI-E 3.0 4x 6/8-port HBA recommendation

All excellent points, thank you! I will eventually add some light weight SSDs to the system, and given that I'm putting the 8x card in a 4x slot and loading it up with 6-8 drives HDs, the headroom for SSDs to flex their muscles will be diminished, so saving the higher speed motherboard ports...
  5. A

What is the reasoning to put them all on the same controller?
  6. A

Thanks, all. Have thought about it decided that the PCIe 3.0 HP H220 is my best bet. $30 is a fine price for future proof (higher bandwidth) solution. I just have a few more questions for consideration (caveat: I am not at all familiar with HBAs, so I appreciate your patience): Where can I find...
  7. A

It is both physically and electrically 4x. Assuming that I am able to cut open the connector without damaging the connector or motherboard, what are the drawbacks of using an 8x HBA in a 4x slot? I am not familiar with this at all so any explanation is much appreciated. Additionally, any...
  8. A

Hello! I'm looking for a PCIe 3.0 4x HBA that supports 6 (preferably 8) internal SATA3 drives (RAID is not needed) for a NAS I'm planning. I would appreciate it if anyone can share recommendations with good price/performance ratio. Thanks a bunch! :)
  9. A

WD 10TB drives are supposed to sound like this?

That is interesting, because mine do, and Spartacus says his do, yet yours don't. What to do, what to do. Leads me to suspect more that the white labels are cheaper than the reds for a reason. Thank you for confirming, though!
  10. A

I can hear this noise across the room. :( Do yours not make that noise even during boot up?
  11. A

I'm also using a Fractal Design case with those same grommets, but still the drives are quite loud and at times and produce a resonance that vibrates the shelf the case is on. :( Rather unhappy with the large format HDDs, if they're all like this. The family is fairly annoyed with the new...
  12. A

A few questions: Do the WD Red 10TBs have the same acoustic characteristics? Is there anything I can do programmatically to quiet the drives, perhaps through a utility such as WDIDLE? Out of curiosity, what dampers are you using? I've got mine mounted using rubber grommets, but I'm beginning...
  13. A

Yes, pretty much. However, as I said, my 4TB drives don't make nearly as much noise -- they're pretty much unnoticeable when active aside from the drives spinning.
  14. A

Hi, I have recently acquired several WD100EMAZ 10TB drives which make the following noise when being accessed: HDD Noise - Clyp (this is an example of what I hear when copying to the drives over network) The drives have all passed a full SMART test, yet I am concerned -- is this noise expected...
  15. A

Server architecture: is a scratch drive worth it?

I'm putting together a new Home NAS which will, among other things, be on download duty. I've seen builds around that use a scratch drive to store the temporary files being downloaded, runs processing on the files (parity check) while on the scratch disk, then extracts from scratch to primary...
  16. A

Need help booting SuperMicro UEFI board

Indeed, it does change the listings: And, yes, there are many things not mentioned in the manual, including the CSM setting, but with a fresh set of eyes I found it under the Security > Secure Boot settings: With this enabled I was able to boot my non-EFI images. Although, one of them...
  17. A

It's just right there in the BOOT settings menu -- but I can't find anything about CSM. This may be what's missing? The same stick with the same image works on a different board, and I've tried loading the image via IPMI but it doesn't display in the boot select menu. But clearly...
  18. A

I recently upgraded my 7-year old SuperMicro board to a new one (A2SDi-HLN4F running firmware v3.6) and am having difficulty booting it - I believe due to UEFI issues. Specifically I'd like to boot the trusty UltimateBootCD to run memtest and other system check tools, however I don't believe...
  19. A

Atom C3000-series: SuperMicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F

I'm using a long-in-the-tooth Atom D525-based SuperMicro board for a low-power FreeNAS build and I'm finally ready to upgrade. Since last year I've been eyeing the Atom C3000 Denverton chips as a huge upgrade, but I have some questions. I have been looking at the C3558-based SuperMicro...