Search results

1. B

lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

You can post here if you want to, that's cool.
  2. B

Hi itronin, I just noticed that the smaller version of that switch, the Mokerlink 8 port SFP+ managed switch, someone left a review on their website saying they are using twinax (DAC) to uplink to their router. The 12port version probably can do the same. Really excited to hear what your...
  3. B

I was looking into how to completely turn off the Onboard LAN so that it avoids drawing power or producing heat. On the X11DPi for both for the N and NT editions [1000Mb and 10Gb versions of the board], there are not any jumper pins for the LAN. For example, there isn't a JPL1 or JPL2 There...
  4. B

That looks like a good switch at that price. It says it can handle SFP and SFP+, it has cli ssh and also a GUI. Only question is if it can use DAC or if requires transceivers. And even so, that's no big deal to me. Let me know what you think about it after you get chance to try it and test...
  5. B

good news is the new x550-T2 (has two ports) arrived from amazon about 45 minutes ago and it is working great so far. It was mostly plug n play. The only thing I' had to do is to go into the ESXi console (yellow ascii UI screens) and assign the new physical adapters vmnic2 as the new ESXi...
  6. B

I'm pretty happy with ESXi and plan to stay with it. I'll be sure to check against the compatibility list for the cards, etc. Thanks again and have fun with your new planned lab setup and with xcpng :)
  7. B

Very cool on the X11DPH you are moving to. I didn't patch ESXi recently. Last time i changed anything in our configuration was back in May when i went from 7.0u3h to 7.0u3k. I'm going to price out the sfp+ parts list. Thanks for those sfp brand recommendations. I'd need an sfp+ switch too...
  8. B

Ordered an x550-t2 two port 10GBASE-T card for $216.99 on amazon. It's silkscreened with "10GeTek" on the pcb so don't think it is official intel card, but I'm expecting it has an authentic intel chipset and firmware :cool: we'll see how well it goes. Should arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping...
  9. B

Hello, My ESXi Host is a Supermicro X11-DPI-N(T) - That mobo has Two Intel x722 10GBASE-T RJ45 network adapters and One IPMI RJ45 adapter. Today I tried connecting to guests in my ESXi host (7.0u3k) and discovered that the two 10GBASE-T physical network adapters of the motherboard are...
  10. B

Updated my yearly VMUG license key over the weekend. I've been using vSphere products and VMUG for over 4 yrs now. Very happy with this setup and it has allowed me to have so many more experiment servers for Oracle experiments compared to when I had only physical servers. Also, upgraded ESXi...
  11. B

esxi 8.x ???

vSphere v8 is available for VMUG Advantage members as of yesterday.
  12. B

Added email notifications to the esxi configuration backup script. basically, using mailx linux command. Postfix for mta and configuring to use TLS encrypted email body transmited to remote smtp server. You can view your resulting emais header to verify that the email transmitted to the SMTP...
  13. B

ESXi 6.7 free license

Regarding VMUG. The VMUG Advantage online store still has the 6.x vsphere license keys available, but they won't say for how much longer. They could be there for another 5 yrs or they could drop off tomorrow. VMUG Advantage is $200 for one year and that would get you the license keys for...
  14. B

I'm sharing my bash shell script to generate and archive ESXi configuration backups to my backup server I scheduled this script to run nightly via cron from a linux server used for holding backups. 0 0 * * * /BRTA_scripts/brta_esxi01_config_backups.sh >>...
  15. B

Intel 540 on ESXi7 - to Brocade 6610

Is there an auto negotiate setting for the adapters? Try setting the adapters to auto-negotiate, or changing that setting to 10000 if it allows. Maybe it's defaulting to an incorrect speed or something like that.
  16. B

esxi 8.x ???

vSphere v8 GA is available today. woo hoo. Checked the VMware Compatibility Guide and it says all of my hardware (most of which is older than 3 yrs) is compatible with v8 Xeon scalable gen 1 intel x722 10BASE-T NICs LSI SAS3008 HBA (9300-8i) It's not available yet from VMUG Advantage store. I...
  17. B

vSphere v8 GA is available today. woo hoo. Checked the VMware Compatibility Guide and it says all of my hardware is still compatible. Xeon scalable gen 1 intel x722 10BASE-T NICs LSI SAS3008 PCIe HBA I was hoping the NVMe m.2 compatibility list would grow, but it's the same list as v7...
  18. B

Yeah, i have powershell scripts calling veeam APIs that are scheduled through Windows task scheduler (windows had a more advanced scheduler than what's in VEEAM), and the various scripts rotate each month through the different trays and after awhile i can swap them for fresh disks. Also the...
  19. B

It's just the way I've configured my backup target server disks (bkp repos) and how i keep my disks organized. I've two veeam backup server installations. Each in there own windows vm. I've three veeam backup proxy servers (one is a standalone Linux vm, the other two are the same windows...
  20. B

Installed another Veeam Server and gained another 10 allotments of VMs, physical servers and laptops or workstations to backup (3 workstations only take up 1 of the 10 allotments). I'm finally free from having to use clonezilla and acronis for backing up physical servers and workstations...